Bill Gates gives Windows 8 his stamp of approval

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft’s most famous face has given Windows 8 his stamp of approval. During a recent interview with the Associated Press to discuss the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s participation in a global mission to end polio, Bill Gates made a few comments about Microsoft’s upcoming operating system.

Gates told the AP he is already using Windows 8 and is very pleased with it. Unsurprisingly, the co-founder of Microsoft believes Windows 8 will be a big deal partly because hardware partners are doing “great things” to take advantage of the OS' new features.

We’re less than a month away from what will be one of Microsoft’s biggest overhauls of Windows ever. Most expect the operating system to be pivotal in deciding the future of personal computers as smartphones and tablets continue to overshadow the tried and true PC.

Of course, Microsoft is prepared should personal computers continue their downward spiral. Versions of the operating system will additionally be shipping on tablets and smartphones come October 26. It's an important step as the Windows & Windows Live division represented 27 percent of the company’s revenue in 2011. But as the numbers indicate, it’s not all about their legendary operating system these days.

The company has been diversifying their product line to include much more than software. Their gaming division is anchored by the industry-leading Xbox 360 gaming console which just so happens to be developing into a major media hub in living rooms across the world. Redmond also makes a decent profit by supplying computer services to businesses and corporations.

Either way, there's no denying that there will be a lot of pressure on Microsoft to deliver big in the next several months.

Permalink to story.

"Unsurprisingly, the co-founder of Microsoft believes Windows 8 will be a big deal partly because hardware partners are doing ?great things? to take advantage of the OS' new features.

HAHA, oh wow. Oh jeez. Hold on let me catch my brea-

"Their gaming division is anchored by the industry-leading Xbox 360 gaming console which just so happens to be developing into a major media hub in living rooms across the world."

PFFFBT HAAAHAHAHA OH, OH JEEZ. Oh my sides hurt so bad.

10/10 joke, would laugh again.

Basically everyone else has been saying Windows 8 is terrible, and suddenly Mr. Gates comes out and says, "NAH GUYS, IT JUST FINE, TRUST ME".

I'm using the Enterprise version, and it isn't terrible to be honest; it just incorporates a major paradigm shift that'll take some time to be accepted.

ramonsterns, are you a fanboy by any chance?

Been using Windows 8 myself for the past few weeks and it is very good. Have a copy installed on my main computer and 2 laptops, no issue and everything working great. It take a bit of time to get use to the new UI but when you do it is pretty good. I hate people that wants new version of OS but absolutly dont want anything to change. It is like when people went from XP to Windows 7, most people compained about the new UI ;)

Love the ' PC downward spiral ' comment in conjunction with a new OS that reeks on a PC.. almost like they are trying to engineer the demise of said PC's..

(tinfoil hat on)

Been using Windows 8 myself for the past few weeks and it is very good. Have a copy installed on my main computer and 2 laptops, no issue and everything working great. It take a bit of time to get use to the new UI but when you do it is pretty good. I hate people that wants new version of OS but absolutly dont want anything to change. It is like when people went from XP to Windows 7, most people compained about the new UI ;)

lol it laughable that you are comparing the XP desktop vs win 7 destop vs Metro.

XP and win 7 actually have interfaces that makes sense on a desktop computer.

So its apples vs apples vs oranges.

Love the ' PC downward spiral ' comment in conjunction with a new OS that reeks on a PC.. almost like they are trying to engineer the demise of said PC's..

(tinfoil hat on)

They have been saying PC's have been dying for last 10 years.Its non sense, and because of bunch of noobs think they can actually do work on a Iphone or an Ipad doesn't mean anything.

...and this means what exactly?

I was trying to stop my dog from humping a girl passing buy. It was engaging. At least I knew the meaning of it, I could understand the dog very well on this one...

- Touchscreen devices are becoming more and more popular. Part of running a successful business is adapting to new trends in hardware/software design, and consumer buying patterns. Look at all the smartphones/tablets in people's hands these days. Windows 8 utilizes this. There will come a day when the "Personal Computer" can be ultimately replaced by a portable device, even if that device has to be docked/connected to a larger screen, keyboards, peripherals, etc.... Microsoft knows this and is (wisely) moving in this direction.

- Windows 8's kernel/core software runs BETTER than Windows 7's! It's faster, lighter, better. Sure, there will be a few kinks to work out, but there were likewise introductory difficulties with Windows Vista/7. With a change in the operating system's kernel/foundation, also comes the possibility of incompatibilities with older software/technologies. That's life. People complained to no end about UAC when Vista debuted, but most people running Win7 today don't even notice it. It adds needed security. Case in point.

- Windows 8's introduces new features such as "Refresh" and "Reset", which both look to be very useful for both novice and experienced computer users.

- Windows 8's "Metro" interface isn't really that hard to use (if you take 10 minutes to read up on it), and the new Explorer ribbon interface (et al) is actually very useful/productive. I like it. Office 2007 started the trend, and every though everybody whined when it first came out, most people can't live without the Ribbon interface now.

So, in essence, we may not like 'change', but that doesn't mean all change is bad. Sure, I think MS should offer a 'classic' shell for Windows 8, for those that like it. But even if they don't, third-party companies are already offering replacement Start menus, etc.

System overall, W8 is better than 7; except that I don't and think after a month of using the W8 RTM I won't like ever the "Modern UI" - waiting for a SP1 that brings back the Start button or else I stay with W7.

Now, about the article... who's this guy to approve a new Microsoft product when he approved Vista and said mostly the same thing back then? [and Windows 95, Me, 2000 -with 4 service packs, XP...]

(tinfoil hat on)

They will never Die, Ok, Servers are PC's, daaa YA Think... hmmm
Desktop PC's Will Keep on Going, Because you have hard core Gamers, Hardcore Programmers, Modelers and Aniamation People, that make all the video's, You need reall Horsepower to do alot of things.
So PC's will not go away, Ever....
:)

I really like some of the features Win8 brings. Like the "Refresh" and "Reset", and how its supposed to run better than Win7. I just don't know if I'm sold onthe UI yet. I honestly haven't used it. Have the RTM downloaded, just never installed it on anything :p.

"- Windows 8's "Metro" interface isn't really that hard to use (if you take 10 minutes to read up on it),"

That is part of the problem. If I am going from Win 7 to Win 8, I should be able to do so without having to read a bunch of stuff

System overall, W8 is better than 7; except that I don't and think after a month of using the W8 RTM I won't like ever the "Modern UI" - waiting for a SP1 that brings back the Start button or else I stay with W7.

Now, about the article... who's this guy to approve a new Microsoft product when he approved Vista and said mostly the same thing back then? [and Windows 95, Me, 2000 -with 4 service packs, XP...]

I totally agree....I also enjoy W8 over Win7. The speed of it is great. As for the waiting for the Start Button to return, just download "Classic Shell". Solves all problems for people who miss the Start Button. You can even disable active corners if you wish.

It's a shame so many people have decided to hate on Win8 no matter what. I hate to see the PC arena splintering.

It's all a lie, he probably booted it up once and said wtf is this junk then uninstalled it, then said yes it was amazing because he's a stock holder.

Usually the masses hate change, but change is good, I dont want to see the same windows UI for another 10 years and hold progress just to keep you happy.

"- Windows 8's "Metro" interface isn't really that hard to use (if you take 10 minutes to read up on it),"

That is part of the problem. If I am going from Win 7 to Win 8, I should be able to do so without having to read a bunch of stuff

And I suppose that you don't check a manual to find all the controls when you get a new car either?

And I suppose that you don't check a manual to find all the controls when you get a new car either?

Exactly, I mean why can't these "innovators" just get that we should be getting new and revolutionary stuff that works the exact same as our old stuff! I mean all of these computers and gps's in cars, why do they have to complicate everything with "options" and "turn-by-turn directions"??? Clearly, if you have to learn how to use it, its not worth having. Apple has the right idea, just keep everything the same forever. If fact, lets just put a ban on inventing things right now. It's just too hard to learn.

(tinfoil hat on)

They have been saying PC's have been dying for last 10 years.Its non sense, and because of bunch of noobs think they can actually do work on a Iphone or an Ipad doesn't mean anything.

lol it laughable that you are comparing the XP desktop vs win 7 destop vs Metro.

You should relax a little. People thought the world was flat once. Then realized how dumb they really were when it came to new ideas.

People keep saying the personal computer will be phased out soon but I've doing builds since Windows 3.1 and thats what they said then. Small devices will never give you the performance or ability of a desktop PC because a smartphone is nothing more then slow computer, shrinked and dialed in to do certain things.
By the time they fit GTX 680 power into a smartphone, a personal computer will be running a GTX 1100 or something MUCH MUCH more powerful.
People like having thier own printers and full out keyboards, amoung other things.

I'm 28 and I don't see the PC going way in my lifetime. Just my 02.
I love my Droid 4. But its not posting up a a P9419 3DMark11 anytime soon.
And small screens drive me crazy! Take me away from my 30" 1600p and I start to cry.

(tinfoil hat on)

You should relax a little. People thought the world was flat once. Then realized how dumb they really were when it came to new ideas.

LMAO what does the world not being flat have anything do to with using a computer and windows desktops?

Hey some people still think elvis, tupac and bigger are live!

Back