Blue screens when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyv01

Hi,

I've been pulling my hair out with this issue. I currently have my CPU overclocked and have tested for stability.

Here are my PC specs:

CPU: E8400 @ 4.05GHz 1.25V
GFX: Galaxy GTX260 SP216 896MB
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) G-Skill PI PC-8800 (1:1 ratio 900MHz for the time being)
PSU: OCZ GamerXtream 850W
MB: GA-EX38-DS4

My CPU was tested stable in prime 95 (small ftts) for 8 hours no errors and 10 loops of IBT no errors. I also memtested my RAM when it was @ 1125MHz for 6 hours, no errors.

I've been getting random bluescreens only in games. I've googled as much as I can and I cannot pin point out this issue.

I have attached the minidumps.

Thanks.

I could not open your minidumps. We don't need the folder just the files themselves. You can Zip up to five files per Zip.

Have you tried updating your video drivers?

I could not open your minidumps. We don't need the folder just the files themselves. You can Zip up to five files per Zip.

Have you tried updating your video drivers?

Sorry for the late reply and Ill fix that. Ive attached the latest minidumps. Yes Ive tried 4 different driver versions, 178.24, 180.48, 181.20, 181.22.

One minidump was unreadable.

Three were error 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

The driver cited in all three is nv4_disp.dll which belongs to Nvidia and their is tons on the internet concerning this dll.

The last is another 0x50 error but it just cited hardware with the Nividia display driver in parenthesis next to it.

Maybe you need to uninstall and reinstall your card's drivers or perhaps it might be bad.

Cheers for the reply. Well I've tried 4 different driver versions, I used driver sweeper and even reformatted at one stage. So you reckon there something wrong with my graphics card?

EDIT: I think the unreadable one was from when I was trying less volts on the CPU and it bluescreened as I got into Windows. I also added some other minidumps which basically are all the same.

Did you experienced these issues when it was on stock?
Have you tried updating to the latest BIOS?

IMHO, I don't think it's an issue with the GPU, but rather the Mobo which can't handle the current settings: voltages, CPU frequency, RAM frequency etc.

You should try OCing step by step, until hitting your current speeds.

Did you experienced these issues when it was on stock?
Have you tried updating to the latest BIOS?

IMHO, I don't think it's an issue with the GPU, but rather the Mobo which can't handle the current settings: voltages, CPU frequency, RAM frequency etc.

You should try OCing step by step, until hitting your current speeds.

Well at the moment I got my CPU running at 3.6GHz and RAM on 800MHz and haven't got any bluescreens. Hmm this mobo is pretty new and ran my E6600 @ 3.2GHz 1.35V with an 8800GTX no probs. I really do want to keep my 4.05GHz because prime95/IBT shows its a stable overclock, so why would I be getting these bluescreens?

EDIT: The latest bios on my motherboard is either a beta bios or a new whole BIOS which only fixes RAID issues.

Same errors and same display driver. So with your current overclocking you have stability? Captain828 has a good suggestion that it might the OCing causing your issues.

Try ocing back to 4.05 and tell us what happens.

Same errors and same display driver. So with your current overclocking you have stability? Captain828 has a good suggestion that it might the OCing causing your issues.

Try ocing back to 4.05 and tell us what happens.

Well I did before and I started getting bluescreens. But even before that when I was on 4.05 I got a bluescreen like every 1-2 days? And yes I ran prime95 (8 hours) / IBT and they all came out stable. But why is it only happening in games? At the moment I'm running 3.6GHz and haven't received a bluescreen "yet".

Ill try 4.05 again I guess.

Well I played CSS last night for about 30mins and no bluescreens. Today I played about 4 games of Dota (wc3) which went for about 2 and 1/2hours~, no bluescreens but my comp did freeze for about 4seconds~ then it was fine. This is with 4.05GHz by the way.

Sorry for the bump, I haven't got bluescreens for about 2 days (4.05GHz) but today i got one while playing counter strike source, it is a new error, here is the minidump. It still has something to do with the nv4_disp too.

Did you get this crash at 4.05 GHz? Have you tried clocking back to 3.6 GHz?

Your error: 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

Same Nvidia driver cited.

Tell us if there are any yellow triangles with an explanation mark or red Xs and what they say. But, unless you have already done so, I would first ease back on my cpu and see what the results are.

Yes it was clocked at 4.05GHz.

Well I've just installed Vista SP1 Home Premium and see how it goes. Before at 3.0GHz I didn't get any bluescreens but at one stage I got a system hang (froze and looping sounds) for about 4secs while playing Warcraft3. At the moment in Vista I'm using 4.05GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back