TechSpot

Browser war brewing: Google ditches Webkit for Blink, Mozilla partners with Samsung on Servo

By Jos
Apr 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It’s been roughly two months since Opera announced it was dropping its own Presto web rendering engine in favor of Webkit, the same used by Apple's Safari and Google's Chrome. The move was seen as an attempt to remain relevant...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +919

I really wanna see what Servo churns out. Maybe in a few years you will need a quad core to get good performance.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,971   +586

This should bring absolutely no change for developers. It is not the browsing engines that set the requirements these days, it is W3C.

4. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,109   +68 Staff Member

VitalyT in an ideal world, yes. But in reality different rendering engines often display elements differently and developers are forced test / tweak the code for different browsers. It's much less of an issue than it was back in the IE6 days that's for sure.

psycros likes this.
  5. VitalyT

Nobody these days is going to release a new browser that's not HTML5 compliant, and that in itself does not allow different rendering.

Or, at the very least, any new browser would be expected to score 100% on the ACID test: http://acid3.acidtests.org, because if it doesn't, nobody is going to touch it, and rightfully so. The times when browsers couldn't pass this rendering test are over ;)

Well, ok... :) Chrome passes it at 100%, so do IE, Firefox and Opera, but not Safari (99%), but that's Apple :)

6. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,025   +154

This is interesting...google is making itself stand out among the webkit community.

more interesting...instead of collaborating with google, Samsung is now allied with the Mozilla foundation in developing a new web browser engine.
    I think the "google-samsung marriage" is dissolving within two years.

7. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 752   +238

All the big players are forming strategic alliances in an effort to re-fragment the web and lock users into browser-based ecosystems. Everything old is new again.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,248   +1,549

Does that mean we can go back to using IE6? lol

9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,654   +323

I just tried it with Safari on OS X 10.7 and got 100/100, but it didn't load smoothly, it got hung for a second or so on 67/100, which, by acid3 definition isn't perfect "the animation has to be smooth".

10. VitalyT

Ok, I just had another look at it, and here's the result. On my Macbook Air I got Safari 6.0.3, and it does score 100%, while on my PC the version is 5.1.7, which Apple Software Update still considers the latest, and this one scores 99%, that which I tested initially. Apparently Apple is not in a hurry to update Safari on PC-s. Anyway, it is good to know that the latest Safari also renders everything correctly.

11. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,654   +323

I think... Apple has abandoned Safari on Windows.

12. VitalyT

I just went through many online sources, and I can confirm it is definitely the case: Apple announced that Safari 6 won't be available on Windows, period.
    Personally, I think this is a mistake. And it will annoy web developers who wanted to support now obsolete browser.

Safari on Windows
    R.I.P.
    :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.