BSOD when playing certain games

Status
Not open for further replies.

killershadow

Hi all, i seem to get BSOD when playing GTA IV and COD5. It happens at random intervals. I have the BSOD picture but can post it once i have 5 posts.

I have saved the report generated by Everest in a word document.

Advise me if you want the specs copied here or if i can submit the word file as an attachment.

Kind Regards

Jazz

I have water cooling and guess it might be the graphics card overheating? Nvidia 8800GTX (Cooled by its own fan and not water cooling)

CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2448 MHz (9 x 272)

Motherboard Name Abit AW9D-MAX (1 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Motherboard Chipset Intel Glenwood-DG i975X

System Memory 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM1: OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR800C42G 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM3: OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR800C42G 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)

Display:
Video Adapter
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (Prerelease - WDDM 1.1) (768 MB)

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (Prerelease - WDDM 1.1) (768 MB)

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (12424369)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter
Creative CA20K1 X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity Audio Processor

Audio Adapter Realtek ALC882/D/M @ Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

30up7pi.jpg

This is one of the BSOD i get.
Ty

In your next post please attach your five latest Minidump Files.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I have reformatted my comp with windows 7 (7201)

Have tried GTA IV and it crashed again. So far collected one minidump. Once i get 5 then i will post the dumps as requested.

Thanks

Kind Regards

Hi again,

Can someone advise me, whilst i am waiting to collect 5 dumps, what other information will be required?

The full specs of my computer according to Everest OR will the dumps explain most of the details required for the verdict?

Kind regards

Jazz

Go ahead and post your one minidump (you don't need to Zip it).

Your error as per your Blue Screen is 0x3B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

Cause
This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code.

Try updating your graphics drivers by doing the following steps:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Do you still get Blue Screens?

Hmm sorry but my mindump is 288kb in size and exceeds the 200kb size.

Hmm sorry to be a pain

I will zip it for you

Kind Regards

As Requested

Minidump file (Zipped to compress size)

Thanks for the hard work you are putting into these forums.

Kind Regards

Jazz

Jazz, trust me, you are not being a pain. Second, what Vista OS are you running, 32-bit or 64-bit? My debugger was having problems analyzing your file.

However, it did cite an 0xA error and these are either caused by incompatible hardware or drivers and/or software. With the fact that you have also received an 0x3B try doing the steps previously concerning updating your video drivers.

For a refresher, are you getting any other issues or is it still mostly relegated to the two games you mentioned in your first post?

I i installed windows 7 hoping to get past the BSOD but i still get it. I have not played the game(s) today as i been trying to recover my hotmail account as some tramp stole it ^^.

Now i have full access to hotmail again.

I am using windows 7 64bit and previously was Vista 64bit.

Kind regards.

Sounds like you need a different email provider! Anyway, the BSODs are still occuring when playing those two games, correct? If so, go to Nvidia's website and see if they have an answer to your video card under 64-bit OS'.

Go ahead and post your one minidump (you don't need to Zip it).

Your error as per your Blue Screen is 0x3B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

Cause
This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code.

Try updating your graphics drivers by doing the following steps:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Do you still get Blue Screens?

Dear Route44,

I have tried the above and in addition i re-installed the drivers for my sound card (Creative labs Elite Pro X-Fi) But i still got the BSoD - This time it said -

irql not less or equal - i believe this refers to a new hardware or driver issue(s). There are people who play GTA IV with no issues whilst using the same GPU as me - 8800GTX.

I know it's problematic when using a new OS which does not have full support in regards to drivers etc etc (Windows 7 Build 7201 - x64).

I was playing GTA IV last night for about 20-30 mins when i got this BSoD.

I ran ATITool for over an hour and the temp went to 82C but no errors shown SO the GPU all in order? Therefore some other issue i am blind to detect?

There is a disadvantage when trying to go to work and then get home to resolve this problem (when tired ^)

When i got the BSoD i had to reset the compiter and it did not say the dump(s) has been saved.

Even tried to up the voltage a little to the CPU and ram BUT still failed eventually.

Would you say that i should post my full specs (ram timings etc etc) to make it easier for this to be resolved? So far this is what i noted down -

CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2448 MHz (9 x 272)

Motherboard Name Abit AW9D-MAX (1 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Motherboard Chipset Intel Glenwood-DG i975X

System Memory 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM1: OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR800C42G 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM3: OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR800C42G 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)

Display:

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (12424369)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative CA20K1 X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity Audio Processor

I had this problem when i first purchased my MOBO where i was gettin constant BSoD no matter what i did and had it replaced to resolve this matter.

But now i only get this BSoD when playing GTA IV (Alot of people have issues with this game too)

As you can imagine this BSoD can be very frustrating, But i dont understand i played crysis on full settings with no issues and ran smoothly. Some say the game (GTA IV) is buggy? But then how do others manage to play it with no issues?

Yes i know too many questions for someone like yourself who is doing a brilliant job here advising people (sorry about this) - But i learn from people like you, i know i am missing something silly and when the answer is finally found i will probably kick myself ^^.

Possibly as i am using windows 7 BUT then i was getting similar probs with vista 64, hence trying out windows 7 hoping this would be resolved, but nope, it still exists.

Kinda pulling my hair out and almost gone bold.

Can you advise what info you need in order to make this query as smooth and easy as possible for you as i understand there are many with issues too that you are assisting with and do not want to take much of your time trying to sort this little issue out.

Kind regards

Jazz

What issues are others experiencing with the game? I am wondering if your fan is not running enough RPMs.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game? What do the Nvidia forums have to say concerning your card and this game?

This is what i get with the in-game benchmark for GTA IV

Statistics
Average FPS: 41.44
Duration: 37.09 sec
CPU Usage: 85%
System memory usage: 78%
Video memory usage: 97%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1280 x 1024 (85 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filter Quality: Highest
View Distance: 26
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Video Driver version: 185.85
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz

The fan of the GPU kicks in speed auto
I have also re-installed the game too

As before, what are the issues others are experiencing with this game? Are their patches for it and have you looked at the Nvidia forums?

I take it you are running SLi? If so, have you tried running the game with only one video card? Have you tried playing with lower textures, resolution, etc.?

The others are getting similar issues and error messeges BUT majority have their CPU over clocked to 3.2Ghz etc. Some say that their 8800gtx heated over 85C and mine is under that, also the 8800gtx is claimed to be tested to over 120C with no hicups.

On the Nvidia site they say use driver - 180.84 - this update posted on 11/01/2009 on the Nvidia Forum site. I installed 185 driver (the latest out so far).

I am not running SLI yet, already got a nagging from the wife for building this machine last year :darth:

The latest patch for GTA IV is also installed and yes it does make the game smoother but still does not stop the BSoD appearing after a short time.

I will try and change the ram sticks to the other two dimms and see if that works.

Not tried playing the game on low settings, but will give that a go, then if this works it would be a shame to play this on low settings.

If i get the solution i will advise you.

Kind Regards

Jazz

From what I know about GTA4, it was plagued with a lot of problems.. up to the point where steam was actually offering money backs on. Tho this was at launch and many patches have already came out for it. You might want to further research on GTA4 itself being a problem on your type of system.

From what I know about GTA4, it has plagued with a lot of problems.. up to the point where steam was actually offering money backs on. Tho this was at launch and many patches have already came out for it. You might want to further research on GTA4 itself on your type of system.

This is good information to know. It could very well be your issues have nothing to do with your system. The game itself could/can be the source of the problem especially by the fact you can run the very demanding Crysis without a hitch.

This is good information to know. It could very well be your issues have nothing to do with your system. The game itself could/can be the source of the problem especially by the fact you can run the very demanding Crysis without a hitch.

I think i may have sorted it out ^^

Just gona test it some more then will post the result.

Its fun to play on the computer when off work :cool:

Regards

Jazz

Please get back to us if you solved the problem. If you solved a problem, post it on the thread on how you resolved it. This would greatly benefit ppl with similar problems in the future into finding a solution. And we all know GTA4 is/was one of the most buggiest games to get released. So more then likely another person out there has had a similar problem and is looking for a solution.

Please get back to us if you solved the problem. If you solved a problem, post it on the thread on how you resolved it. This would greatly benefit ppl with similar problems in the future into finding a solution. And we all know GTA4 is/was one of the most buggiest games to get released. So more then likely another person out there has had a similar problem and is looking for a solution.

I will definately get back once i have sorted this problem out.

It seems to be running for longer periods of time now, i did get irql......late at night when i was too drunk to realise what i was doing, was playing GTA IV ofc and running multi programs also installing crysis warhead in the background.

I will say so far that this game has bugs which appear at random times which cause the BSoD.

Try to keep the registry clean, and try moving the ram sticks to alternative slots. This is what i did and seems okish, but still experimenting for a fully stable configuration. Might try and up the voltage on the NB and GPU if i get the BSoD again.

Hope to get back soon, and would like to mention bb BSoD next time i post here :grinthumb

Kind Regards

Jazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back