BSOD - Windows Power State Failure

WanabEtEch

This BSOD just started appearing on shutdown. It seemed like it started right after I installed a different graphics card (Radeon 6800). Device Manager says I'm running the correct driver but.......
I know there have been many posts on this but I haven't found one that helps me.
Your thoughts please and TYIA for your help!

Win7 - 64bit
HP Pavilion P6510y
AMD Athon II 630 Quad Core
Radeon 6800 graphics card (just installed

Best advice: read this article ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14238/windows-10-troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors ), turn off 'restart automatically on error' if on, capture error code and/or name of failing software. You may need 4 or 5 crashes to get all that. If you can identify a pattern (I.e., it crashes whenever I turn on the coffee maker) that helps too. Detailed notes can be key.

If you have crash dumps (files full of information at the time of the crash), you can use WhoCrashed to get specifics...http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed . I have also been helped by http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

If you think it is the video driver, download DDU from this site and then do a clean install of the driver.

Keep us posted, share your results.

Here's what the crash dumps said:

On Sat 7/1/2017 11:56:49 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070217-41886-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70E40)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8008908050, 0xFFFFF80000B9A518, 0xFFFFFA8009E24270)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8008908050, 0xFFFFF80000B9A518, 0xFFFFFA8009E24270)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I'm going to run the DDU and reinstall the driver.

FWIW - I'm running Win7-64 bit.

This is what the dump file said:

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070217-41886-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70E40)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)

I d'loaded the DDU program but don, know how to run it.

Instructions from the creator https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
"Recommended usage:
-The tool can be used in Normal mode but for absolute stability when using DDU, Safemode is always the best.
-Make a backup or a system restore (but it should normally be pretty safe).
-It is best to exclude the DDU folder completely from any security software to avoid issues."

I have just run it in Normal mode.

I removed and reinstalled the driver and all seems OK now. I did not use the DDU tool because even with the link provided, I still couldn't figure out how to run it.

How to run a program:

Locate program using File Explorer.
Left click once to select it.
Right click once to open file menu.
Left click on 'open' to run it.

I recall d'loading the file and unzipping it. But there was no excecutable in the file. I dunno....but it seems to be working OK now. Thanks for your help!

Don't be pulled...it's ME trying to do stuff! LOL!!
FWIW - I dloaded the file and I see the .exe now. (shrug) don't know what I did the 1st time.

Back