TechSpot

Build your own portable console with this DIY Gamer kit

By Shawn Knight
Dec 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. For some people, simply playing a game isn’t enough – they want to be part of the creation process. To that end, a company called Technology Will Save Us has unveiled a DIY Gamer kit that allows those with a...

Read more

2. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Enthusiast Posts: 326   +18

Does anybody here have this? I was looking into the Gizmo or Minnowboard simply because of how much more power they have over the Arduino but it all really comes down to how well the product performs.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,003   +1,503

With an 8x8 matrix display, it is a joke. I might consider, if the resolution was at least 800x600.

St1ckM4n, JC713 and ikesmasher like this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,977   +908

But then again, what do you expect from an Arduino Microprocessor?

5. 8x8 display?? no kidding, it's useless. The original gameboy has 360 times the number of pixels

6. Enough for Ship game or simultan Tetris.

7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 975   +87

If I were starting out, maybe in a classroom environment, an 8x8 console would be simple enough to teach the basics. I'm like you guys and would want something better then VGA resolution for my final product. But we need to learn the letters in the alphabet before we write like Shakespeare.

I couldn't really make out the power source. Is it not shown?
    And it's a bit pricey for a low resolution novelty console isn't it?!

8. cliffordcooley

Learning the basics is all they can say for this project. There certainly is no practical use for it otherwise.
    They mentioned something about additional supplies. A 9 volt battery and soldering kit was listed.

9. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 902   +52

It would be a great little kit for a high school science/computer class.

10. cliffordcooley

Dozens of students at $80 a piece, I can foresee group projects.

Unless of course you could talk Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg into footing the bill, so each student could have their very own. hahaha

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.