Burned DVDs won't play

Mark Fuller

Hello, My os is wxp sp3 and I am using infrarecorder to burn dvds from videos I downloaded using youtube downloader, but when I burn them to cd they will play on my computer but not on another dvd player like my norcent. Can anyone Help?

Try burning the DVD's in an .iso format. You have probably selected the wrong format in InfraRecorder . Go over the options carefully. I burn all my DVD's in the .iso format. They play fine on all my DVD players and my computer

You see no "tools" or "settings" in the InfraRecorder software. What format are you burning the DVD's in now? I don't use InfraRecorder. Who told you to use this burning software?

Hello, My os is wxp sp3 and I am using infrarecorder to burn dvds from videos I downloaded using youtube downloader, but when I burn them to cd they will play on my computer but not on another dvd player like my norcent. Can anyone Help?
There are many different types of video file formats (mpg, avi, flv, vob, and many more)

Your computer has the flexibility of recognizing all these different file formats and types (each with its own different file extension). So your computer can play them all back (if you've installed the right media player and codecs for the associated file extension)

On the other hand.... stand alone media players usually have a much more limited number of file types they recognize and will play back. Many will only playback VIDEO_TS VOB files. I'm certain whatever you download from youtube aren't VOB files. You;d need to find a program to convert file types to whatever is needed for your player. (And that conversion process and finding the right program can be a pain in the ***)

To see what i mean, put a commercial DVD movie into your computer to look at it;s folders and files. Right click the DVD player to Explore it. (don't Play it) You'll find it contains two folders: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. Look in the video folder. it will contain VOB, IFO and BUP files.

Quick little tid bit here, seeing that your using Windows XP with (SP3), more than likely your using Windows Media Player 11, if so, when I was running Windows XP (SP3) I would burn my movies through the software that came with the media player. There's no work to do other than through the media player, have it "open' the movie file directly, then take your mouse pointer and "drag & drop" the file to the pane to the far right, it will then discern what type of file it is and apply the correct burn to it. Just before the burn is complete, and if done right, you will notice a little advisory statement towards the completion. This statement will say something in the order of "finishing or finalizing disk as so it can be read on other computers"! After that finalizing process, that disk can now be read on other computers DVD drives and regular non computer DVD drives as well. This has always worked for me, maybe one or two times I had to divert to another program like Nero, but Windows Media Player version 10 and above can burn your files (in house).

Good luck.................:)

As you perfect your method of making playable DVDs, try using rewritable DVD. You'll end up w/ less coasters.

"Can you give me instructions on how to use this software?"...

Select mode: .iso Write

Select file to be written
Select destination: DVD drive with blank media

OK, time out. It is my understanding that to burn an ISO file directly, you need an .ISO file to begin with.

I seriously doubt that this crap is coming off youtube in the form of a disc image.

Consequently, you need a file converter program to create a Video_TS file, then create an image, then burn it to DVD in DVD-Video format.

Unless you're ripping DVD-Video directly, "DVD Decryper " is of limited use.

For a more general purpose image creating / image burning software, I suggest "ImgBurn", also written by "LightningUK".

Can you give me instructions on how to use this software?
"ImgBurn" has a forum, with published guides, covering all aspects of its intended use: http://forum.imgburn.com/ It really isn't the province or mission of this forum to reinvent the wheel upon request.

You still need a file converting program to generate Video_TS files suitable for burning to, discs intended for playback on a freestanding DVD players. This is not my area of expertise, and so I demur from here on.

<snip>

Unless you're ripping DVD-Video directly, "DVD Decryper " is of limited use..
i concur with the captain. DVD Decrypter is of little use for your case

You first need to
1. Figure out what video format you're downloading from youtube
2. Figure out what video format(s) are supported by your standalone DVD player. (It may only be VIDEO_TS format)
3. Find software that converts formats from #1 to #2 and burns that to DVD

I'm no media expert either. So can't give you any more specifics. maybe media player may help for your case as someone suggested. IDK

/* EDIT */
But can also add, i've been down the path of step #3 before. trying to find conversion software to create a DVD that will play on any DVD player.. and is a pain in the $$$. .

If your Norcent DVD player supports DIVX, you can try converting those Youtube videos to that format. A firmware update might be necessary (if one exists) in order for the player to play DIVX files. There doesn't appear to be a web site for Norcent and no model number was given, so you'll have to research that bit on your own.

As the captain said "if you have plenty of free time..." HEREs another link you can look at.

It provides an overview about VIDEO_TS formatted DVDs for standalone players. BUT note the instructions and the tool it mentions assumes you're starting with MPEG-2 video files. That's very most likely not what you're downloading from youtube.

Plus a heads-up: From my own limited experience, i found many of these authoring/conversion tools are not easy to use and don't always convert source video format very well. So i wouldn't buy anything you can't try first for free

Downloading video from 'youtube' means, by default, it will be in .flv format.
Your pc should playback files of that type, if you don't have any success with what you currently have installed, try this free program;
http://www.applian.com/flvplayer/download_flv_player.php

Your 'standalone' DVD player will use the .vob format, and just possibly 'Divx' but it will have a sign on the front showing that as a 'feature'.
To convert .flv (that's Flash video) to .vob, you can use the free program, 'Format factory', (Video option, 'All to .vob'), I use it often, generally works for me.

To burn TS_ video files to DVD, I use 'Burnaware' by Glorylogic.
http://www.burnaware.com/burnaware_free.html
(This program is also called 'Trueburner').
Also 'Imgburn' will do the same job, as mentioned above;
http://www.imgburn.com/

Hi mike1959

I got motivated by this thread and wanted to try the tools in your post so had a go at it as well.

Format Factory is pretty cool and handy. Thanks for that tip :) It converted my mpeg video to a vob file with just a few mouse clicks! And i could play the vob file back on my computer too, no problem

But i also had problems when i tried burning to DVD to play on my Samsung DVD player. I also tried the DVD Video option but Burnimage seems to want VIDEO_TS format for DVD video and i can't get it to add the vob file to VIDEO_TS. The vob file itself burned to DVD didn't play on my Samsung when i tried the just the vob file itself

I'm also not sure if i'm doing some setup wrong? but will have another go at it tomorrow if i have the chance

But i also had problems when i tried burning to DVD to play on my Samsung DVD player. I also tried the DVD Video option but Burnimage seems to want VIDEO_TS format for DVD video and i can't get it to add the vob file to VIDEO_TS. The vob file itself burned to DVD didn't play on my Samsung when i tried the just the vob file itself

I'm also not sure if i'm doing some setup wrong? but will have another go at it tomorrow if i have the chance
I don't know if I"m stating the obvious here, but ".vob" is only the video file itself. An".ifo" Information file), and a ".bup" (backup info) files are required to complete the "VIDEO_TS" folder. There is also the "AUDIO_TS" folder, but that always seems to be empty.

In Burnaware, after you click on DVD-Video icon, a new window pops up. Two folders are listed. Double click on VIDEO_TS. Now you're in VIDEO_TS folder. Click on the green "+" on the right to add files. Once you're done, you should be good to go.

Unless I'm missing something here, would it not be easier to convert the flash video (.flv) to mpeg-2 (or -4 if your standalone DVD player is DivX / XviD capable) using Any Video Converter (or similar) and use any standard burning software like Nero etc. to build the DVD ?

[direct AVC freeware links here]

Houston, we have lift off! :)

It's been a nasty, rainy day in Chicago so i had the time to play with this... And I’m happy to report that i can now create my own DVDs that play back on my Samsung DVD player! I’ve successfully created DVDs for my Samsung using both flash and mpeg (FLV and mpg) as source files! The answer is a "DVD authoring" freeware tool: DVD Flick

More about DVD Flick below but first some fyi info: I’m still no media expert but here’s a few things I learned about the media puzzle that helped me find a solution for the home DVD player
  1. What I kept calling “VIDEO_TS” format is commonly called “DVD-Video” format. If you want to burn a DVD video that can be played back on any home DVD player, you want to create and then burn DVD-Video formatted DVDs
  2. The process of creating DVD-Video format is called “DVD authoring”. To create a DVD-Video you can subsequently burn, you need a DVD authoring tool
  3. There are many media conversion tools that basically just convert between different media file types (e.g. between mpg, avi, vob, flv, files etc.). I learned these tools are great if the target player is a computer or portable devices (like cell phones) BUT if your target is a home DVD player you need a DVD authoring tool to create DVD-Video format
  4. DVD-Video requires much more then just a single vob file. As the captain mentioned above, a finished VIDEO_TS folder will contain VOB, IFO and BUP files. DVD-Video also imposes strict filenaming requirements for each file in the folder. The files in the VIDEO_TS folder for DVD-Video will look something like this:
    makedvd_2.gif

Some tips to get started with DVD Flick
Here’s a quick guide to get you started with DVD Flick. But i think can you can skip most of the steps and just use default values until you want to get more elegant and creative at the DVD-Videos you create

The only setup i think you really need to start using DVD Flick
  1. At the bottom of the DVD Flick screen be sure to assign it a workspace folder. If you're building a typical 4.5GB DVD, I'd guess you have at least 8-10GB free space on the drive DVD Flick uses for workspace
  2. On the right of the screen, use the Add titles and Up/Down Arrows to add the source files and arrange them in the order you'd like them to playback on the DVD
  3. Click Project Settings
    • Select Video. Check the Target Format. I used NTSC. If you’re outside the US, you may need a different format (IDK for sure)
    • Select Burning. I used the option to Create ISO image and then burned it myself when DVD Flick was done. In this case, I found DVD Flick created a dvd.iso file in its workspace. You might also try the option to Burn project to disc

/* EDIT */
Footnote: I just created and burned a new DVD-Video. This time my Samsung player gave an error message "Couldn't load disc". I don't know if it was a fluke.. or one other thing that's different this time is i burned a DVD-R disc. The discs i burned before (that worked) were DVD+R and DVD+RW.

I have read that some brands of DVD player don't work well with certain types of disc, DVD-R work well with some, +R with others.
I have done a test with various video files to prove the software.
I used 3 different types of video files.
1) An .avi file from a Fuji 5700 digital camera.
2) A .flv downloaded from Youtube, which I had converted to .MP4 to use on my mobile. (Shuttle launch).
3) An off-air broadcast, recorded on my standalone 'Lite-on' DVD recorder, ( default format was .vob), but I had converted to .avi.
Using 'Format Factory' each was converted to .vob.
Using 'Trueburner/Burnaware' all 3 files were burned to Maxell DVD+R.
The option used was DVD/ multimedia /Create DVD Video.
The Maxell DVD was played in the Lite-on DVD player connected to a Samsung 24" TFT TV through a scart/peritel lead.
First, no thumbnail menu screen was available to select a video to launch.
But all 3 videos played perfectly in wide screen, with sound, a black bar at top and lower edges of screen. Hope that helps.

I just created and burned a new DVD-Video. This time my Samsung player gave an error message "Couldn't load disc". I don't know if it was a fluke.. or one other thing that's different this time is i burned a DVD-R disc. The discs i burned before (that worked) were DVD+R and DVD+RW.
I have read that some brands of DVD player don't work well with certain types of disc, DVD-R work well with some, +R with others.
You should probably always burn DVD-Video discs on a DVD+R blank. In 6 years of dealing with these types of burns, DVD-R blanks have a nasty habit of producing coasters.

IMHO, and a small amount of experience, (2 drives) TSST computer drives flat out suck. The combination of DVD-R and a TSST drive seemed fatal to blanks,

I switched to Pioneer and Sony drives and DVD+R blanks and haven't looked back.

You always have to consider the possibility of misalignment between computer drive and DVD player as a potential cause of skips, lockup, and not loading.

Back