Can't upload to YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
YouTube will not accept any of my uploads. Files (6.3 meg in size) have been tried in MP3, MP4, WMA, QuickTime and Flash SWF formats. All get quickly followed with the with the message 'Failed (could not convert file)'. Uploading computer: iMac OS 10.4. Similar lack of success with PC machine. Movie files from my digital camera however DO get accepted!

What kind of Internet Service Provider are you using? Cable? DSL? Are your running behind a router? What are your complete system specs?

YouTube will not accept any of my uploads. Files (6.3 meg in size) have been tried in MP3, MP4, WMA, QuickTime and Flash SWF formats. All get quickly followed with the with the message 'Failed (could not convert file)'. Uploading computer: iMac OS 10.4. Similar lack of success with PC machine. Movie files from my digital camera however DO get accepted!

The video files from your digital camera are being accepted because they are the right type of file (and using the correct codec) which YouTube will accept

If you are uploading the correct type of video, YouTube will be able to accept the file and convert it. When you upload a video, YouTube converts the file after the upload process is complete, if it can not be converted, it will obviously not complete the entire process and be viewable by you and others. If the video is not encoded with the correct codec (such as H.264, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4) it can't be converted and the conversion process will fail. Depending on the source of the video file, the video could be using one type of codec or another.

It can be confusing, but an example would be that I could have an AVI or MPG file using Xvid or DivX. I believe both are accepted on YouTube, but it's best to learn to convert your files according to the codecs that YouTube asks for. One major reason being, the video may look pixelated and distorted if one codec is used and sharp and clear if another is used, or just entirely be rejected by YouTube.

The files which are not completing the upload/conversion process through YouTube; what source are these files from?

You can't upload an MP3 to YouTube, but you could create a video and import the MP3 into that video. Though the odds are that if you have been attempting to upload an MP3 and place the MP3 inside of a video, it's copyright material and YouTube will eventually strip the audio from that particular video anyway. To remedy this you could attempt to find non-copyright audio that uses a Creative Commons license for example.

The fact that you can't use copyright audio is pretty blatantly pathetic on YouTube's part and the RIAA and everyone else involved in causing this to occur. The artists' don't care whatsoever about their music being placed in a YouTube video. Any artist with the common sense of a mouse knows it's beneficial to them. Trent Reznor knows it and has been known to give music away. Unfortunately, that's just how it is. It is a pain to find quality "free" music that is licensed under CC (Creative Commons), but you either live with it or wait for YouTube to disable the audio in your video.

There is also a size (file size) and length (of duration) limit on YouTube, so keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back