Cd disc help needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a normal cd rom drive and have managed to burn a music cd onto a cd r disc, now i have come to do the same again with cd rw discs and it wont work, is this because i need the actual cd rewriter rom to be able to use these discs?
im new to this so can someone explain it to me
thanks

mono33 said:
i have a normal cd rom drive and have managed to burn a music cd onto a cd r disc, now i have come to do the same again with cd rw discs and it wont work, is this because i need the actual cd rewriter rom to be able to use these discs?
im new to this so can someone explain it to me
thanks

You say you have a "Normal" CDROM drive, I cant see how you could have burnt anything with this, I think you have a CD rewriter, there is a difference, one can burn disks and one can't, it just doesnt have the capability.

As for your problem, you say that you have burnt a normal CDR, which is a disk that can only be written to once and now you are trying to burn a CDRW which can be written to again and again, first thing is to check you havent actually got a DVDRW, they look the same and can be mistaken.

If you are sure it is a CDRW then is it blank, ie has it been written to before, if it has then you need to blank it using the burning software, or using XP's own built in burning software.

Can you post back and tell us how you are trying to burn the disk, what type of disk it is and what the error is when it fails to work

As allready noted, a CD Rom cannot burn anything. you must have a CDRW. windows has a very basic CD-R writing capability. it does not have packet writing capability (CDRW). a CDRW has to be formatted before it can be used to burn anyting to it. and you need packet writing softwae if you want to be able to re write to a CDRW disk. personally I dont recommend it. all Packet writing software is unreliable and buggy.

iss said:
a CDRW has to be formatted before it can be used to burn anything to it..

Does it?
I always use them straight out of the packet, I think it's only DVD's that have to be formatted,

Or am I wrong ??

Does it?
I always use them straight out of the packet, I think it's only DVD's that have to be formatted,

Or am I wrong ??

how are you burning them? if you are suing a packet writing software then the disk must be formatted first. if you are not using packet writing then you can use regular cd burning software and use session without formatting. or you may have bought disk that were allready formatted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back