CD Drive wont play CDs

By cozzielex
Jan 18, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had a few problems recently with my CD drive, i.e. it disappeared. as mysteriously as that happened it re-appeared however now it will only play DVDs. I've tried several cds and none will play, all I hear is a bit of clicking. It also freezes my windows media player. Can anyone please help?
  2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,783   +638

3. cozzielex

cozzielex TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 43

The drive is still there, its just the cd function that wont work. Itried the site you mentioned and the ms automated troubleshooting service but it didnt work.
    Someone has suggested that I uninstall the drive in device manager then it will re-install itself, is that correct?
  4. dividebyzero

If it's not a upper and lower registry filter problem then..
    Uninstalling and reinstalling could work- No promises, but it's easy enough hypothesis to test.
    I'd also check for the latest firmware revision of the drive.
  5. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

it could also be your cable, or the connection is not solid. particularly if its a SATA cable. they can work themselves, or be bumped loose, mostly on the motherboard connection, and it doesn't take much.I have come across this many times. (this assuming that the drive is in working order)
  6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,384   +205

That is correct. When you restart Windows, the device will automatically reinstall (assuming you haven't physically removed it, that is).
  7. cozzielex

Thanks very much guys; Dividebyzero I have downloaded the latest firmware version, do I install it on top of the older version or uninstall the latter first?
  8. dividebyzero

You just install it. I don't think there is a provision to uninstall firmware.
    On a related note. Someone with a similar problem started a thread and I did some checking around so posted my findings here
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic141554.html
    They may be applicable in your situation
  9. cozzielex

Thanks for your help guys, I rolled up the white flag and got a new cd.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.