DVD drive not recognizing DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aximilator

Hi all

I have been trying to fix this problem on my own for quite some time now and have given up so i came here for help. My dvd drive only reads dvd's and will not recognize empty ones so i can burn. it does the same for cd's. I tryed switching my drive with a different one and it still doesnt work. since i switched it i do not think that it is the drive i think it has to do with something else in the pc. or not having the drive.

my pc is a compaq presario s4100nx

specs are:

1gb ram

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.50GHz

any other information you need. please let me know!

thanks in advance

If you've tried uninstalling and re-installing the drive with no luck then it could be
Possible IDE controller problem
in device manager > remove IDE controllers.. all of them. > reboot > IDE Controllers will be reinstalled automatically
This is step 7 in the troubleshooting guide found here
http://winhlp.com/node/10
I would read through the whole guide just in case there are indicators you see (and you haven't listed in the post) which would lead to a better solution.
Hope this helps. If you could post back either way it would be appreciated by those that follow you.

An inability to recognize / burn blank CD/DVD's can also be a symptom of problems with filters. In addition to the other stuff, also see [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

thanks dividebyzero i will try. and lookinAround nice seeing you again. i will try both of your things and let you know.

thanks guys, i am really sorry for all the trouble, but i am a complete *****. i never even checked if i could right dvd's turns out the drive is not capable of it. wow i suck. umm so thanks for the help anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back