Chrome still pushing forward, IE8 falls below 30%, IE6 falls below 10%

Emil

Staff

With IE9, Firefox 5, and Chrome 12 all out, the second browser war is only getting fiercer. Let's take a look at the market share numbers for last month.

Between June and July, Internet Explorer dropped 0.87 percentage points, much more than the previous month. Firefox, meanwhile, dipped 0.19 percentage points, more than it lost last month. Chrome increased 0.34 percentage points, but actually Safari was last month's biggest winner with gains of 0.57 percentage points. Opera lost 0.08 percentage points.

At 52.81 percent, Internet Explorer has once again hit a new low. IE9, the latest and greatest from Microsoft, last month captured 6.77 percent of the market (up by 1.14 percent percentage points). IE8 lost 0.77 percentage points and fell below the 30 percent mark, but it's still the world's most popular browser. IE7 fell 0.29 percentage points and IE6 fell a whopping 0.94 percentage points. As a result, IE6 is now finally below the 10 percent mark.

At 21.48 percent, Firefox is still below the peak it reached last year (24.72 percent). It appears that Firefox 4 and Firefox 5 are still not helping Mozilla regain overall market share. This is despite the fact that Firefox 5 last month captured a whopping 10.39 percent of the market (up by 8.34 percentage points). Firefox 4 lost 8.06 percentage points, while Firefox 3.6 and Firefox 3.5 together lost 0.57 percentage points.

At 13.45 percent, Chrome has hit a new high. The browser's built-in updating system is working wonders for Google. Chrome 12 managed to capture 11.16 percent (up by 3.84 percentage points). Chrome 11 meanwhile fell 3.40 percentage points and Chrome 10 fell 0.10 percentage points.

The data is courtesy of Net Applications, which looks at 160 million visitors per month. As you can see above, the situation at TechSpot is slightly different: Firefox is first, IE is second, Chrome is third, Safari is fourth, and Opera is fifth. Once again, the only browsers to gain share at TechSpot between May and June were Chrome and Safari.

Permalink to story.

The IE share numbers don't add up. It only comes to 51.6%. Might want to confirm the information given to you for this article.

Would be interesting to see the Market share of other browsers, e.g. Maxthon. Maxthon has a huge share, manly in China and India - Net Applications only displays half the data, if not taking those markets into account

lol - "IE" includes ie5, as well as some rounding that is not shown

Chrome is scary. Everything you type is transmitted to google and stored there - for eternity. My company just banned it.

Chrome is the worst! It did everything from not allowing me to sign in to websites like facebook, Yahoo! and even my bank, to slowing down my computer and making everything stop responding. Once I wiped it from my computer and switched to Firefox everything went back to working normally. I will NEVER consider google ever again.

Guest said:
Chrome is the worst! It did everything from not allowing me to sign in to websites like facebook, Yahoo! and even my bank, to slowing down my computer and making everything stop responding. Once I wiped it from my computer and switched to Firefox everything went back to working normally. I will NEVER consider google ever again.
are you sure that you didn't just get a virus?...... cuz thats what it sounds like

Go Chrome GO! It's only a matter of time until it steals 2nd place from Firefox

I still can't believe Chrome 12 is actually the world's 2nd most popular browser, right behind IE8 and just just above Firefox 5!!

Back