Computer has two sticks of RAM, can I put in two more?

StaticEndo

My brother's computer is the Dell XPS studio 8100, and it came with 4 (2x2) Gigs of RAM.
since he has been using a lot of streaming programs recently he wanted more RAM, so i suggested he get this: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538_913&products_id=13237

it is compatible with his motherboard, i already checked. (DDR3, 1333 MHz)

my one concern is that if i just go ahead and put those two sticks into the two remaining RAM slots on his motherboard, something will go wrong or it wont be compatible or something.

im fairly certain that it should be fine, but i wanted to check with the pros first :D

I'd recommend he purchase a matched set of 8GB RAM, whether it be 2 sticks or 4. Different sets of RAM usually work out okay, but they can also cause problems so it makes sense to replace all of it with one matched set.

the first thing you need to consider when getting more then 4GB of ram is that you can only actually use it if you are running windows 7 (or vista) 64x

64 Bit OS

First step is to ensure your computer is running a 64 bit operating system. A 32 bit OS is only capable of utilizing 4gb of Ram.

Do make sure that the memory that you purchase will need to be either ECC or non ECC memory. You cant mix these different types in the one machine.

although the Crucial tool isn't always 100% right.

Sure. Although the OP could a program like Speccy to double-check things.

will need to be either ECC or non ECC memory.

Yep, that's true. Also, some motherboards are picky about supporting RAMs with double-bank memory. So stick to single-bank ones.

You cant mix these different types in the one machine.

Yeah, a memory kit usually includes matched pairs of RAM.

Back