Computer has two sticks of RAM, can I put in two more?

By StaticEndo
Oct 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My brother's computer is the Dell XPS studio 8100, and it came with 4 (2x2) Gigs of RAM.
    since he has been using a lot of streaming programs recently he wanted more RAM, so i suggested he get this: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538_913&products_id=13237

it is compatible with his motherboard, i already checked. (DDR3, 1333 MHz)

my one concern is that if i just go ahead and put those two sticks into the two remaining RAM slots on his motherboard, something will go wrong or it wont be compatible or something.

im fairly certain that it should be fine, but i wanted to check with the pros first :D
  2. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I'd recommend he purchase a matched set of 8GB RAM, whether it be 2 sticks or 4. Different sets of RAM usually work out okay, but they can also cause problems so it makes sense to replace all of it with one matched set.
  3. DKRON

DKRON TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 547   +8

the first thing you need to consider when getting more then 4GB of ram is that you can only actually use it if you are running windows 7 (or vista) 64x
  4. krs205

krs205 Banned

64 Bit OS

First step is to ensure your computer is running a 64 bit operating system. A 32 bit OS is only capable of utilizing 4gb of Ram.
  5. humblechap

humblechap Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

Agreed. 32bit OS will have a ceiling of 4Gb. If you have 64bit OS then slam in the ram!
  6. ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft Newcomer, in training Posts: 30

Use Crucial's memory advisor tool to find the best suited memory:

OS Memory Limitation and Maximum Supported Memory (mobo) are two things to keep in mind.
  7. humblechap

Good call, although the Crucial tool isn't always 100% right. Bear this in mind.
  8. humblechap

Do make sure that the memory that you purchase will need to be either ECC or non ECC memory. You cant mix these different types in the one machine.
  9. ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft Newcomer, in training Posts: 30

Sure. Although the OP could a program like Speccy to double-check things.

Yep, that's true. Also, some motherboards are picky about supporting RAMs with double-bank memory. So stick to single-bank ones.

Yeah, a memory kit usually includes matched pairs of RAM.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.