Computer randomly restarts. Caused by mini .dmp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamz3r0

I've had this problem for quite some time now, and all searches have come up empty-handed. I've done multiple virus scans, with multiple programs, checked my drivers, and ran Memtest86 to test the RAM. All tests came up clean and OK.

My computer randomly restarts itself, and gives me a "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message. It says Mini060609-06.dmp and sysdata.xml are causing the problem, and I've posted as much information as I can in attempt to fix this issue. My computer specs are below:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.20GHz
3.19GHz, 1.00 GB/RAM
NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT Graphics Card (w/ Updated working drivers)
Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter
(Disabled) 3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI Ethernet Adapter
WDC WD1600AAJB-22WRA0 (160GB Hard Drive, brand new)

The manifest.txt file contains:
Server=watson.microsoft.com
UI LCID=1033
Flags=1696080
Brand=WINDOWS
TitleName=Microsoft Windows
DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
ErrorText=A log of this error has been created.
HeaderText=The system has recovered from a serious error.
Stage2URL=
Stage2URL=/dw/bluetwo.asp?BCCode=1000007f&BCP1=0000000D&BCP2=00000000&BCP3=00000000&BCP4=00000000&OSVer=5_1_2600&SP=3_0&Product=768_1
DataFiles=C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER109b.dir00\Mini060609-06.dmp|C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER109b.dir00\sysdata.xml
ErrorSubPath=blue
DirectoryDelete=C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER109b.dir00

I've attached the entire TEMP folder, containing the error. (MiniXXX.dmp, Sysdata.xml, Manifest.txt)

Your minidump specifically cited the driver sptd.sys which is a driver belonging to Daemon Tools 4.0.

We have lost count here at TechSpot the number of people who have had issues with this software and particularly this driver. You can either update and see if that works or you could completely uninstall the software.

I don't think it's 100% installed, and I'm not sure if the problem was occurring before or after the installation, but I'll remove what's on here. I should be able to go to C:/WINDOWS/System32/drivers/ and delete sptd.sys, correct?

Thanks

I would first go to their website and see if they have a removal tool to make sure you are completely clean. Left over drivers will still try to "work" even though the software itself is no longer accessible.

Another thing you can do is download the latest version of CCleaner. It is an excellent safe and free utility. It has a Tool option and several of us here find its Uninstall option often works better than Windows' offering. See if anything is listed for Daemon Tools.

Also My Computer > C Drive > Program Files > look for a file for Daemon Tools. If you open it see if it contains anything. If not you still may want to delete.

* Don't mess with C:/WINDOWS/System32/drivers/

Alright, I removed every bit of Daemon Tools I could find. There wasn't anything in the program files, and I *moved* the driver, and so far it seems to have solved my problem.

Alright, I removed every bit of Daemon Tools I could find. There wasn't anything in the program files, and I *moved* the driver, and so far it seems to have solved my problem.

Good! Keep us up-to-date if you continue (or not continue) to have stability.

Well, it lasted for about an hour, now I'm getting a new mini.dmp. WinDebug says it may be caused by win32k.sys ( win32k+10ca3f ). Now, what can I do to fix this? I don't want to mess with it, then hose my computer.

And another restart shows USBPORT.SYS to be the problem.

What are the error codes? Those drivers cited belong to Windows and they are usually too general to be much help. When you said you "moved" the driver what do you mean?

I moved the driver to another location (my desktop) until I found my computer could function without it. The next restart showed Vax347b.sys to be the problem.

I don't have the error codes just yet, I'll have to wait until I get another restart and receive the information for the error.

Vax347b.sys is a driver used by Alcohol 120%, to emulate the virtual CD-ROM drive. It allows you to change the number of virtual drives without restarting.

Many people have issues with this driver and software. One person, interestingly enough, resolved any issue by a system repair.

Okay, I performed a repair of Windows to try and fix some of the problems, and all went well, until I got to the desktop, and received a STOP error stating "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

My memory is okay (tested with the Memtest86 bootdisk), and I unplugged a recent USB port I installed before, and I haven't experienced the BSOD again yet.

Also, the new mini.dmp says ntoskrnl.exe is the cause of the error. This computer is being nothing but trouble :(.

EDIT: Okay, the BSOD was because of the USB port I installed, and since the repair, I haven't gotten any restarts, etc.

Yes, I was going to ask you what about that USB port. So is everything stable now?

Also, Lookinaround has posted an excellent tutorial on USB. I suggest you check it out.

Well, the USB port wasn't the issue. Let's see:

- Drivers are up-to-date on the video card
- Fan/CPU are in working order
- CD/DVD drives are working and up-to-date
- No floppy (who has those anymore lol)
- Only one non-OEM USB port, but I've never gotten this BSOD before for it
- All Windows updates are installed
- No Viruses
- RAM checked and O.K.
- Both hard drives checked and working

It's not a hardware issue. So what could it be? WinDebug is telling me that this recent error was unknown.

BugCheck A, {0, 1c, 1, 804e1c51}

***** Debugger could not find nt in module list, module list might be corrupt, error 0x80070057.

Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )

Followup: MachineOwner

I'll post my most recent mini's so you can take a look at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back