Computer switches off and restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer383

the problem is that when ever i get into a game (gunz,perfect world, even miniclips Robot Rage) my computers just switches of and restarts

I have tried nearly everything (btw i use the integrated gfx,intel(R)G33) like updating driver, resarting in safe mode and installing then. If im lucky ill be be able to play for like 10mins or less with really bad colouring. Patches of purple,green dodgy pixels appear.

Im not sure wha it could be but when i took out one of my arianet 1gb RAM sticks i had no problem.I even swapped them around to see if i had a bad stick, which i didnt.I havnt tried memtest yet(downloaded the usb version, i gather i hav to put it on a usb then boot it by pressing F8?)Could it be cheapo sticks?
Im going try getting a video card but i fear it wont make any difference.

its like it wont work because of dual channel.Any help would be appreciated

PSU=Antec earthwatts 380W, 17amp on 12v rail
Mainboard : Asus P5K-VM
Chipset : Intel G31/G33/G35
Processor : Intel Pentium E2180 @ 2000 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (1 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Intel Corporation P35/G33 (Bearlake) Integrated Graphics Controller
Hard Disk : Maxtor (61 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (165 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B
Monitor Type : faqc2a0263034 - 16 inches
Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (March 2008)

apologies if in wrong section

Have you gone to Intel's website and updated the latest drivers for your system?

Asus probably has updated drivers for your chipset, etc.

Updating BIOS is often a last resort. Go to ASUS' website, find your motherboard, and see if they have updated drivers for your particular model.

Shut downs that you are experiencing can also be a sign of either overheating or failure of your PSU when under a load.

As for RAM, keep in mind that ASUS boards can be very picky about RAM used. But if you have been using this stick for some time that may not be the case.

Still, try running MemTest for a minimum of 7 passes.

0x0000008e (0x80000004,0x80705AC9,0xA7C5B774,0x00000000)

thats the error i got just a few mins ago, i took of auto-restart so now i do get a BSOD

From auhma.org:

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Like I said, BIOS is a last resort because if it is running fine there is no need to update.

Since it is most likely a hardware issue did you run MemTest like I had suggested previously?

It would seem likely that dual channel working of memory and your particular combination of hardware is suffering from timing errors, probably in the graphics area. I would suggest you invest in a reasonably cheap video card and disable the onboard video.

If that is successful, it will likely enable you to add in your second Gb with complete success. (as I read it, you are currently running single-chip at 1Gb but have another Gb available)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back