Connect Vista laptop to XP wireless home network

nichos

Connect vista to wireless home network

how can I connect a vista laptop to existing wireless home network with other 3 xp machines.

I followed googled info but keep chasing my tail as all effords end trying to make an internet connection.

My router is Negear wired & wireless capable in which 2 PCs are wired & an Acer netbook wireless connected, all 3 XP machines.

Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
160gb HD, 3GB Ram
32 operating system

This friend is for connecting to Internet, I am connected there no problem, my question was "ho to connect to my existing wireless HOME Network along the other 3 xp machines. Can you handle this please & give me in detail step by step how is done?
  1. Click Start
    Collapse this imageExpand this image

VistaStartButton.jpg

, and then click Connect to.
  2. Click the wireless network to which you want to connect, and then click Connect.

I'm not quite sure I understand.

Your vista laptop is connected to the wireless, and therefore the Internet. Yes?
Your 3x XP machines are connected to Internet, via LAN cables?

If this is the case, generally, all four PCs should be able to see each other.

YES it is the case, so if you are correct, WHERE should I look in VISTA to see all machines.

I know in XP I go to "My network places" in win. explorer and I can see any of the 3 that are booted up.

You should be able to go to network and sharing center Icon in the control panel. After clicking on the Icon .Go to the top left side of the window. Click on see full map.

OK, I tryed that & in VISTA shows "FAMILY" which is my XP network but when I openit it only shows the "C" partition of my PC, not the other 4 partitions, & not the other 2 machines.

My main XP Network shows the Vista Laptop & when I try to open it a warning comes up as below.

As there is no way to setup networking with the "Network Setup Wizard" of XP which creates a separate network outside the Internet connection, it seems that XP networking is incompatible to the Vista one.

Would any XP users back my theory?

Attachments

• WARNG1.jpg
    WARNG1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 4
Back