TechSpot

Connect Vista laptop to XP wireless home network

By nichos
Feb 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Connect vista to wireless home network

how can I connect a vista laptop to existing wireless home network with other 3 xp machines.

I followed googled info but keep chasing my tail as all effords end trying to make an internet connection.

My router is Negear wired & wireless capable in which 2 PCs are wired & an Acer netbook wireless connected, all 3 XP machines.

Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
    160gb HD, 3GB Ram
    32 operating system

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

3. nichos

nichos TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 31

This friend is for connecting to Internet, I am connected there no problem, my question was "ho to connect to my existing wireless HOME Network along the other 3 xp machines. Can you handle this please & give me in detail step by step how is done?
    1. Click Start
      Collapse this imageExpand this image

[​IMG]
      , and then click Connect to.
    2. Click the wireless network to which you want to connect, and then click Connect.

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

I'm not quite sure I understand.

Your vista laptop is connected to the wireless, and therefore the Internet. Yes?
    Your 3x XP machines are connected to Internet, via LAN cables?

If this is the case, generally, all four PCs should be able to see each other.

5. nichos

YES it is the case, so if you are correct, WHERE should I look in VISTA to see all machines.

I know in XP I go to "My network places" in win. explorer and I can see any of the 3 that are booted up.

6. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,850   +184

You should be able to go to network and sharing center Icon in the control panel. After clicking on the Icon .Go to the top left side of the window. Click on see full map.

7. nichos

OK, I tryed that & in VISTA shows "FAMILY" which is my XP network but when I openit it only shows the "C" partition of my PC, not the other 4 partitions, & not the other 2 machines.

My main XP Network shows the Vista Laptop & when I try to open it a warning comes up as below.

As there is no way to setup networking with the "Network Setup Wizard" of XP which creates a separate network outside the Internet connection, it seems that XP networking is incompatible to the Vista one.

Would any XP users back my theory?

Attached Files:

8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

Not so; vista works well with {XP, Win/7}

You also have some misconceptions as to what will be accessible, but let's deal with that after it is configured correctly.

Here's an outline for the steps necessary

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.