Corsair launches quad channel memory kits for Intel LGA-2011

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Corsair has announced multiple quad channel DDR3 memory kits designed for use on Intel’s new Sandy Bridge-E platform. 32nm, socket LGA-2011 processors feature an upgraded integrated memory controller with four channels supporting DDR3-1600 memory for a theoretical peak bandwidth of 51.2GB/s.

Corsair is offering multiple quad channel kit sizes under various product lines. In terms of sheer operating speed, the 8GB Dominator GT package is rated at PC3-19200 (2400MHz) at tested latencies of 10-12-10-27. A 32GB Dominator GT kit is also available, although these modules are only tested at 2133MHz with timings of 9-11-10-27.

"The new Dominator 32GB Quad Channel memory kit is designed for high-performance PC enthusiasts using the latest motherboards, whether they're overclockers, gamers, or simply want a large amount of state-of-the-art memory," said Thi La, vice president of memory products at Corsair. "Corsair is a market leader in high-performance memory, and we're pleased to be first to market with a high-performance 32GB quad channel kit."

Standard Dominator and Vengeance kits are also available should you not require such high operating speeds. For example, the 32GB Vengeance kit operates at 1600MHz at 10-10-10-27. A low profile version of the Vengeance kit is offered in a 16GB capacity kit that features tighter tested timings of 8-8-8-24 at 1600MHz.

Both Dominator and Dominator GT lines support Dual-path Heat eXchange (DHX), Corsair’s patented memory cooling technology. DHX Pro takes it one step further by including circuitry to measure various memory parameters which can then be output to a diagnostic device like the AirFlow Pro Memory parametric display.

Pricing varies depending on which kit and capacity you are interested in. As of writing, a 32GB Dominator GT quad channel kit is listed at $261.35 on Corsair's website which seems to be in error as the kit is listed at $999 in Corsair's press release. A 32GB Vengeance kit with a slower speed rating costs $527.65.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if their kits come with two memory coolers.

From what I've seen it will be common for the LGA2011 motherboard to have modules on two sides of the CPU. This would mean you need a cooler for both sides (that is if you opt to using them).

They have apparently changed the 32gb quad channel kit for $261.35, to a 16GB kit for the same price.

I don't get the cas latency. Someone please explain it to me. 10-12-10-27? Isn't 9-9-9-27 cas latency better? Isn't the lower the better?

igotdembombs said:
I don't get the cas latency. Someone please explain it to me. 10-12-10-27? Isn't 9-9-9-27 cas latency better? Isn't the lower the better?

The lower the better.

Lower does not always mean better ;))
(you need to look at the frequency too)

CAS10 for DDR3-2400 isn't at all shabby. Latency (timings) typically becomes more relaxed as the module density and number of modules increases.

An example would be these G.Skill kits- note that the higher the density and frequency (16GB, 32GB, 64GB) the looser the timings become in general. Finding 4 or 8 modules designed to run at higher bandwidth at tight timings becomes quite a task for the binning process, so relaxing out the timings allows for a commercial quantity of the RAM to be made available.
(And -1 for G.Skill's marketing. RipjawsX for Z68 and RipjawsZ for X79 :rolleyes: )

In the case of the new X79 boards, does one really need to buy a quad channel DDR3 kit like these Corsair kits or will a pair of dual channel kits do just as well ?

So is my Corsair Dominator GT 1600Mhz 7-8-7-20 good? got 4 sticks, each with 2GB on.
Those timings for your 12800MB/sec kit are about as good as it gets.
In the case of the new X79 boards, does one really need to buy a quad channel DDR3 kit like these Corsair kits or will a pair of dual channel kits do just as well ?
In general two dual module kits work fine...there are however a couple of things to take into consideration;
- Corsair don't make their own memory IC's, they source them from various makers (Elpida, Hynix, Micron, Nanya, ProMOS etc...), and each of these IC makers gets a different version for each kit that Corsair has - so a Dominator/Vengeance 2 x 2GB DDR3-1600C9 kit for example could be v2.1 or v5.1. Even though the packaging and spec is the same, sometimes different vendor modules aren't stable alongside eachother- so it's best to source the same version if you're using 2 or more different kits.

- Buying two tight timing kits may mean that you can't reach those timings in practice once you use them together- a lot depends on the quality of the modules, the nature of the board and it's power regulation, and of course the memory controller on the CPU.

In reality, and some discerning shopping there isn't too much difference in pricing between 2 dual kits and 1 quad kit
Corsair 4 x 4GB Vengeance DDR3-1866C9 ( should tighten up to C8 at the lower 1600 bandwidth) @ $160
Corsair 2 x 4GB Vengeance DDR3-1600C8 @ $75 ( or $150 for 2 kits)

Back