CPU Spikes at simple tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! First time poster, long time visitor.

Ok, here's my problem, my CPU usage spikes at very simple tasks. I just updated to Vista HP(64 bit) like 3 days ago. I've noticed my CPU spiking at very simple tasks.

I did a little test, i opened and closed FireFox and Internet Explore to see how it effects my usage. Here's a screeny.
test.jpg

Know I'm no *****, but I know my usage shouldn't just jump up to almost 30%-40% from just opening firefox. I remember in XP, the usage wouldn't even budge.

Here's a link to my Hijack This Click Here.

Please keep in mine, this was a clean install, so there's no possible way i have spyware or virus, i haven't even used the web beside vising this site.

Specs.
Intel C2D E6550 @ 2.33GHz
EVGA 780i Tri-SLi Mobo
4 gigs of ram
EVGA 8800GT 512mb
Seagate Barracuda 250GB HDD
Lite-On DVD Burner

Since it's a 64 bit OS, running a 32-bit program, it has to run in a sort of compatibility layer, which my increase CPU usage a bit more because it is doing this conversion. And also, 64bit oses require more system resources. And also, it's vista, which is a resource hog.

It will be helpful for you to explain a lot more about what you mean when you report that it "Spikes." There are many different interpretations. What you show is not alarming by what I see every day.

Like opening simple programs take a lot of CPU usage. I just got done installing Call of Duty 4, and my usage bounced between 60% and 100%. I just feel that thats really high. Like i said in my first post, just opening firefox it would shoot to 40% or so. Even when im idiling it bounces from 0% to 10%.

Maybe im just used to XP, but it seems high IMO. I thought that's what core 2 duos were suppose to handle.

I can tell you this, my PC never stuttered in CPU usage in XP either, but once I decided to try Vista HP, it suffered from the same things as you, I know how you feel. But I installed Vista on a Test HD to get the feel of it, and considering how underpowered my pc is, decided to stay with XP for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back