CPU Upgrade for Dell Inspiron1100

By the grip
Aug 30, 2008
  1. I have a Dell Inspiron 1100. I have done many upgrades and I'm pretty
    proficient at installing my own hardware. I've decided I would like to upgrade
    the CPU. Here's what I have....Intel Celeron 2.0ghz 400mhzFSB 128KBcache Socket
    is 478mPGA and the manufacturer is Northwood. I would like to upgrade to the
    best Pentium4 processor that my motherboard can handle, but the only information
    that I can get on the motherboard is the Chipset (845GL). I've already tried
    contacting Dell and that is all they will tell me since they do not support CPU

I ran a couple 3rd Party Programs to tell you what hardware is on your system,
    how's it running, and where you can upgrade. (PC Wizard 2008 and InSpecs.exe) I was given information that my motherboard could support a CPU up to 533mhzFSB and 2.8ghz or higher Processor. Is this true? What do I have to watch to make sure the processor would work on my Motherboard. Please Help - I have been trying to research this for over a week and keep getting different answers depending on the website I visit.

I have read many of the posts here and can't find one to match my needs. Also I don't do anything special with the computer and it is way past the warranty date. Just want extra speed for multitasking.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Your Dell motherboard is weak at best... Upgrading the CPU on a 533MHz Front Side Bus will not give you much speed gain. You will gain much more by maxing out your system memory
  3. the grip

the grip TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

Yea I already did that...It is maxed out at 1Gig. I really just wanted to know if it is possible to use a 533FSB on a 400. Do motherboards usually support a min and max FSB? I was thinking that if I increased the processing speed along with the cache size that would allow me to have better multitasking capabilities. Thank you for responding.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.