Not open for further replies.

steeve

my computer is an oldie but a goodie:

ASUS K8V-VM mobo
AMD Sempron 3000+ (1800MHz, 754 socket)
2GB ram
Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT
XP SP3 (32 bit, trimmed down)

i use it for 3d modelling (no gaming). it can handle anything. until i got this new software. now it's labouring. the slowdown is almost certainly at the cpu.

how much would it help to replace the cpu? The fastest socket 754 processor i can find is an athlon 64 3400+ 2200MHz. this would surely improve the situation?

not really keen to start overclocking at my age, and i don't know how much that would help.

any opinions much appreciated

well i have some bad new dont waste your money on that cpu a new $500 system will put that system to shame and play your software just fine

I'm in total agreement with klepto12. Would be a total waste of money to upgrade that system.

Yeah, you are past the point of an upgrade being worth it. If you have never had at least a dual core cpu system you don't know what you are missing yet.

Here is a system i just priced out:
HP Pavilion Elite e9200z - $550 with (SVMY478761 coupon code)
* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* AMD Athlon(TM) X4 620 quad-core processor [2.6GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MT/s bus]
* 6GB (free upgrade from 4GB) DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] -
* 640GB (Free upgrade from 500GB) 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
* 512MB NVIDIA GeForce G210 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
* DVD Burner
* 12-in one media reader
* etc. .
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh.../e9200z_series

Here is a system i just priced out:
HP Pavilion Elite e9200z - $550 with (SVMY478761 coupon code)
* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* AMD Athlon(TM) X4 620 quad-core processor [2.6GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MT/s bus]
* 6GB (free upgrade from 4GB) DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] -
* 640GB (Free upgrade from 500GB) 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
* 512MB NVIDIA GeForce G210 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
* DVD Burner
* 12-in one media reader
* etc. .
Good Find :approve:, but I'd rather drink battery acid that buy an OEM PC (That's just me :evil:)
If your capable of building your own system I would recommend it, gives you more room to upgrade, and future proof your machine.

ok thanks guys, i did suspect something like that...i had better start gathering components for a rebuild. any suggestions? is there anything worth salvaging from this one? the video card?

yeah that could be a problem, it is PCI-E. that would limit the choice of motherboards i guess

yeah that could be a problem, it is PCI-E. that would limit the choice of motherboards i guess
All Motherboards these days are PCI-e. Hard Drive might be usable as well as the optical Drives depending on the interface Sata/IDE

I'll link some Parts for you later from both Intel and AMD

thanks!

a local supplier has a couple of package deal which look good to me:

AMD Athlon 64 6000+ 3GHz AM2 CPU
ASUS M2N68-AM GeForce AM2,VGA Onboard
Kingston 2GB DDR2-800 PC6400 240PIN Desktop Memory

AMD Athlon64X2 Processor 245 2.9GHz
Asus M2N68-AM Support AMD Socket AM2+ Phenom Cord Core CPU & AM2 Athlon 64 CPU mATX Geforce 7025 Chipset Onboard Video Share Up to 256MB 2XDDR2 800 PCI-E x 16 SATAII Raid GB Lan
2GB DDR2-800 Memory

any thoughts?

Definitely go dual core at a min. Quad doesn't make as big of a difference for most users, but dual is the way to go.

Good Find :approve:, but I'd rather drink battery acid that buy an OEM PC (That's just me :evil:)
If your capable of building your own system I would recommend it, gives you more room to upgrade, and future proof your machine.

I don't disagree, but gaming is usually the main reason not to go OEM as they rip you off totally on any decent video card and usually don't give you a particularly powerfull power supply. But if you are not gaming you usually can't beat the price of a baseline OEM system, plus at least you get some sort of guarantee on the system as a whole rather then just parts.

thanks!
AMD Athlon64X2 Processor 245 2.9GHz
Asus M2N68-AM Support AMD Socket AM2+ Phenom Cord Core CPU & AM2 Athlon 64 CPU mATX Geforce 7025 Chipset Onboard Video Share Up to 256MB 2XDDR2 800 PCI-E x 16 SATAII Raid GB Lan
2GB DDR2-800 Memory
if i were you this is the better of the 2 depending on how much it costs also if you could give us a budget we could build you a rig on here.

yeah that cpu is quite a new model i think, plus reasonable upgrade posibilities. i can get this package for $270. that's new zealand money which would be about US$200. seems like a very good price to me.

if i had to come up with a budget figure, $400 to $500 wouldn't hurt too much. it would keep my box, ps, hard drives and maybe my graphics card which is probably ok for now.

how would my current GeForce 7300 GT compare with the Geforce 7025 Chipset Onboard Video?

By $400-500 do you mean USD or NZD? For about US$500 you'd be able to build a very nice system.

how would my current GeForce 7300 GT compare with the Geforce 7025 Chipset Onboard Video?
The 7300GT is better.

400 - 500 NZ would make me more comfortable. that's about US$350. remember, this started out as just buying a second-hand cpu and slipping it in! being able to reuse some parts will really help.

amd or intel?

If you can wait, try and save some more cash and consider building a new rig.

Or you could get yourself a good AMD CPU, motherboard and DDR3 RAM for $350 and spend on other components later. Reuse the PSU, case, HDD and GPU for now.

Tell us what you'd prefer.

well don't try to upgrade it is just waste of time and money check out online sites for good desktop deals and buy it with good specs if it is about $400-$500

i like what you are saying ritwik. i don't see a problem with that. a case is just a case. and i like my hard drives (2 x 80GB, 4 partitions) the way they are. my os and software set up is highly customized and complex. i'm not in the right place now for a whole new system...it would take weeks to rebuild

also, i really want to stay with xp for now...it does what i need. what happens with the os? if a computer is shut down with one mobo and starts up later with a new mobo, does windows freak out or just carry on?

i think my xp may be oem. how much of a computer has to change before microsoft considers it a new computer? it would seem pointless to have to buy a new version of xp at this stage

As soon as the motherboard is changed it is generally recommended to do a fresh install of Windows. This is because completely different drivers have to be installed for all to components to work properly. Old drivers present on the HDDs may create conflicts with the new ones. However, there are some ways in which you may be able to get by without a fresh install. Hunt around online.

At $350 I would go with the Phenom II X3 720 BE processor, any AMD 790X chipset motherboard and a good 4GB kit of DDR3 1333MHz RAM. It would come to around $315 - 320. If you're willing to spend a little more, you could get the Phenom II X4 955 BE.

I had simler issues with my 754 and chose to upgrade.I went the AMD route.
AMD Phenom 2 2x 550 BE
Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H mobo
ATI Radeon HD 4650 1gig grafix
2x2gig ram sticks 4gig total
All for about £280
I had a few old hardware issues and most were sorted with the odd new pci-e replacement cards for the old pci.
And it faultless now so far 1 month on and just keeps working fine.
Even ran the new Call Of Duty demo and ran fine for me
so for an all rounder it will do me.
Link to my issues - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic137063.html

i like your set up. triple core may more than i need

thanks for that link too. it may come in very useful as i also use a kvm switch with ps2's

i can get a good deal on a phenom II X3 720 with an asus M4N78SE (nforce chipset) and 4GB DDR2-800 ram. the mobo doesn't support DDR3. how does this combo look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back