TechSpot

Creative soundcard causes games to crash

By jonnyk14
May 28, 2005
  1. Hi everyone
    I was recently having troubles playing Freelancer on my pc which would involve numerous BSODs, random restarts, or the game just quitting randomly taking me back to Windows. I tried allsorts then finally took the soundcard out (Creative SB Live 5.1) and went back to my less-than-good AC'97 built in sound. Never had a problem since. I was hoping someone would be able to suggest a way in which I could use the Creative sound card (mainly cos I have 6 speakers and the on-board sound recognises only 2) AND actually be able to play games.

Other specs include
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    Windows XP Home SP2
    NVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 128Mb (which plays Freelancer on full settings really well)

Thanks

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,902   +338

Just in case, did you enter the BIOS to disable the onboard sound when the Creative sound card was installed?

3. jonnyk14

jonnyk14 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I did. I went into 'integrated peripherals' and turned 'Integrated AC'97' to disable. I was hoping I might be able to change some IRQs or something rather than buy a new sound card.

4. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,319

Have you tried installing it to a different PCI slot? Also, in the BIOS set Plug & Play OS to No.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.