TechSpot

Creative soundcard causes games to crash

By jonnyk14
May 28, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone
    I was recently having troubles playing Freelancer on my pc which would involve numerous BSODs, random restarts, or the game just quitting randomly taking me back to Windows. I tried allsorts then finally took the soundcard out (Creative SB Live 5.1) and went back to my less-than-good AC'97 built in sound. Never had a problem since. I was hoping someone would be able to suggest a way in which I could use the Creative sound card (mainly cos I have 6 speakers and the on-board sound recognises only 2) AND actually be able to play games.

Other specs include
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    Windows XP Home SP2
    NVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 128Mb (which plays Freelancer on full settings really well)

Thanks
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,436   +218

Just in case, did you enter the BIOS to disable the onboard sound when the Creative sound card was installed?
  3. jonnyk14

jonnyk14 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I did. I went into 'integrated peripherals' and turned 'Integrated AC'97' to disable. I was hoping I might be able to change some IRQs or something rather than buy a new sound card.
  4. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,327

Have you tried installing it to a different PCI slot? Also, in the BIOS set Plug & Play OS to No.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.