Crysis 2 GPU & CPU Performance Test

Julio Franco

Staff member
Crysis 2 GPU & CPU Performance Test

How demanding Crysis 2 is on PC hardware? Can it bring the most power hungry rigs to their knees as the original game did? Today we plan to find out as we run a wide range of processors and graphics cards through the gauntlet.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/379-crysis-2-performance/

Please leave your feedback here.

Have to say you are running a similar setup to myself (Pro mobo not deluxe, 8GB of ram). You show that at 4GHz the 590 GTX is running without bottlenecking, whereas I'm running my HD 5850 (with crossfire disabled due to the flickering problems when running it with my other 5850) with the i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz and getting an average framerate closer to 40 fps at extreme 1920x1200 compared to your 4GHz 31 fps average. So maybe the 5850 likes more CPU clock speed than the latest Nvidia offering. I'll try and do some testing tonight with fraps as my average 40 fps is a non scientific "in my head average", sorry :) Might be some other setting in the Catalyst drivers causing the performance difference and not the CPU speed(running with their default settings myself), or that I'm using the 11.2 driver which is the latest non beta available.

Good round up of cards tested though to give users a good idea of what to expect performance wise. Performance over a range of cards is decent, shame about the gameplay (in my opinion).

Also maybe worth noting that crossfire and SLI users are experiencing issue with this game - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic162819.html

@Arris
Are your 5850's at stock clocks (725/1000) or OC'ed ?
It would appear that a smallish bump in core/memory would get you pretty close to 40fps judging by the 5870's benchmark.

Nice review Steve.....I'll still wait until it's premium price drops a little.

dividebyzero said:
@Arris
Are your 5850's at stock clocks (725/1000) or OC'ed ?
It would appear that a smallish bump in core/memory would get you pretty close to 40fps judging by the 5870's benchmark.

Nice review Steve.....I'll still wait until it's premium price drops a little.

I'll double check. Believe I have them at stock at the moment.
I'll try setting the clock to 4GHz and seeing if that drops the FPS.

I agree with You Arris, I have 45+ FPS almost all the time at 1920x1080 (lower resolution) on my old q6600 @ 3,4 + hd6870, catalyst 11.2. The game works great.
By the way here is our polish review, not the same rig but it's worth comparing.

Arris there is no way the Radeon HD 5850 needs more than 3GHz, let alone 4.6GHz, there is no bottlenecking going on here.

Please keep in mind that we are deliberately testing a demanding scene in the game and at no point do we look anywhere that is going to create an fps spike, such as looking towards the ground for example. The maximum frame rate is not much higher than the average in our test. So when playing the game chances are you will see spikes where the maximum climbs much higher and therefore will push up the average.

Also do not compare just one card, such as an AMD graphics card. What is important here is the margin between certain cards as that should remain consistent provided there is no physical limitation such as a slow processor.

For example when using the extreme settings we found the GeForce GTX 285 and Radeon HD 5850 delivered virtually the same performance at 1680x1050, this should be the case for all systems.

Anyway thanks for all the feedback so far guys.

We got it. NVidia rules, Intel rules, who cares about DirectX 11 on high end graphic cards.Thank you!

Steve said:
Arris there is no way the Radeon HD 5850 needs more than 3GHz, let alone 4.6GHz, there is no bottlenecking going on here.

Maybe the CPU optimization/CPU tasks in games being handled better is what was giving me higher benchmarks and fps in the majority of games after switching from 3.0GHz Q6600 to 4.6GHz i7 2600K.
I'm pretty sure your 4GHz benchmarking of the 5850 is right and my general impression of the FPS I'm receiving is artificially high (remember seeing 37-40 mostly). I thought that 3GHz was all the HD5850 needed but it seemed to give more with the faster CPU, but I'm not going to argue over a few fps or setup my old Q6600 to compare the benchmarks as I'll probably find you're right :)

I'm going to go back to AvP benchmark with crossfire though as I definitely think the fast processor benefits there. I did find through testing that 4.6Ghz -> 4.8Ghz yielded no performance increase, going to throttle it back to 4GHz and check it out. And play a little Crysis 2 with single card with that CPU speed too and see what my general impression of the fps is. I could be suffering more fan noise than I have to :D

You need 50+ fps to play this game without lag?

That's bull..

I'm playing with 30-40 FPS, game's very smooth and I didn't notice fps lag at all, not even when I'm doing multiplayer.

I completed this game the day it came out, went straight to town to pick up my copy, strangely even though it is fairly fun and the graphics are fairly impressive, the flow is completely wrong and i felt a little dissapointed with it, especially at the fact I had completed Crysis the week before so the orginal was fresh in my mind and to be honest, this was a real let down in comparison.

Anyway my GTX 260 played it fairly well, If anything my Duel core was what made it lag a lot, I noticed it most in the outside scenes. was really annoying! but I will be building a new PC this year :)

Hey guys, as far as the flickering happening with the ATI cards, I tried a few different things and was able to get it to go away while still using CFX. I just disabled catalyst controller. I know it isn't called that but I can't remember the exact name. There are basically three options. Advanced, normal, and disabled. I disabled it and made sure that it still had crossfire enabled, which it was. I then played the game with my CFX enabled (catalyst disabled) and no flickering!!!!! The settings were run at 1440 x 900 with extreme graphics. I am running 2 HD 3870s. Then I disabled CFX (catalyst still disabled) and could only run at high settings. Thus proving that CFX was enabled for the prior test.

30 FPS is my limit, anything below 30 and I tone the GFX settings down. My machine is 2 yr old, got a GTS 250 with a phenom 1 X4 2.2Ghz so won't be running Crysis 2 on full! I can't even run JC2 or AvP on full. But thats not biggy they still look very good on medium/ medium-high settings.

I must admit I was expecting dx10 to at least make an appearance if not dx11, however I am mightily impressed by the level of detail dx9 is still capable of!

On the demo I was getting about 60-80fps with a i7 950 @ 4ghz and SLI GTX465 card (both weren't on the test) on a X58 Sabertooth. I still haven't played the actual game, I'm waiting for it to download.

"Quite disappointing" to not see even the article writer coming up with the thinking of why exactly is Crysis 2 not supporting D3D 10/11 (or why there's no 64-bit version either).

Simply, creating a 32-bit D3D 9 version of a game the size of Crysis 2 is _much_ easier than a 32/64-bit D3D 9/10/11 one.

And even _then_ they ran out of time, which you can clearly see from the release of the "first day patch" and the ongoing bugs that need to be wiped out.

I think the biggest point to be seen here is what a steal the i5-2500/ i7-2600 are. CPU plus mobo for less than $500 depending on choice. Compared to i7-9 Extreme and 1366 mobo for well over $1000 as of this morning. It is clear that any card less than a couple years old can run this. It is the dual core processors that or declared obsolete. The new Sandy Bridge by price per performance declare all the older processors dead.

I quite disagree with you that crossfire is working "fine". at least not with many configurations. I have have played it on a few CF rigs I have here and it has problems to be worked out.

BTW folks, 11.3 drivers are out, however the release notes are not available....so just install on blind faith I guess :rolleyes:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

running my HD 5850 (with crossfire disabled due to the flickering problems when running it with my other 5850)

Arris, you get the background flicker when you have your second 5850 CF'ed? I didn't have that until I enacted my 4th 5850, just goes to show what lousy support they launched this miserable console sequel with......i want my money back! LOL

Since crysis 2 is going to get patched with dx 11, are you going to another review when it released? Comparing dx 11 performance?

Guest said:
I think the biggest point to be seen here is what a steal the i5-2500/ i7-2600 are. CPU plus mobo for less than $500 depending on choice. Compared to i7-9 Extreme and 1366 mobo for well over $1000 as of this morning. It is clear that any card less than a couple years old can run this. It is the dual core processors that or declared obsolete. The new Sandy Bridge by price per performance declare all the older processors dead.

Would be interesting to see a clock for clock comparison though.

"Quite disappointing" to not see even the article writer coming up with the thinking of why exactly is Crysis 2 not supporting D3D 10/11 (or why there's no 64-bit version either).

Do you want us to guess? If you didn't read between lines, our take is that they lacked the focus on the PC version development and that's why they didn't go with DX11 or 64-bit executable at launch. Time is always a constraint in software development, but again it's no excuse. Crytek's focus was on launching a multiplatform game and the special PC features were relegated for later.

Since Crysis 2 is going to get patched with dx 11, are you going to another review when it released?

Depending on when it happens we probably will. E.g. if it's a few weeks from now, sure, if it's 4 or 6 months later, we may not even bother as a sign of protest.

Nice article Steven, enjoyed reading it...
I just did a little Crysis 2 overclocking test with my Xeon X3370 (=Core 2 Quad 12MB L2 cache CPU)

3.0Ghz: 45.85fps
3.6Ghz: 45.92fps

I think I may be a little bit bound by my old trusty 8800GTS 512MB VGA card even when clocked to 850/1080 (core/mem) :D

As for my thoughts on Crysis 2 itself, when I played the PC demo I was massively disappointed
The multiplayer maps above all where way to small, they did not have any of the original Crysis feel to them IMO.
Now I have not even played multiplayer on my Retail copy of Crysis 2, but after adjusting the Field of View and playing a few levels of the single player mission I must say that I am impressed.
The visuals are impressive, the lightning and shadows cast, even at the "middle" graphic option of the only 3 available looks amazing.
It was only now when I read Stevens article that I realized how much better the highest graphical options looks though, however my old trusty VGA card is unable to get any playable framerates there unfortunately.

However with that said I must highlight that I think Crysis really feels bland without the great Vistas of the original Crysis, there are no such grand views to be seen in Crysis 2 as far as I have played yet, I am now at the mission right after "FDR".

And how the PC version could be released with options like aim assistance enabled but only 3 preset graphical options with no customization abilities is beyond me.
And the fact that the console was locked out in the Retail version before the "day one" v1.1 patch just also goes to show where the priorities where during development.
My biggest gripe is with the default FoV though, I only have a 4:3 monitor but I get headache and feel Nausea only after minutes of gameplay, the Crysis 2 FoV is vertical and the default is 55.
Settings that work for me and look good with my resolution of 1600x1200 is FoV of 74, with this I get a slight performance reduction but it's well worth it, no longer does it feel like I'm running around looking at the game through binoculars!
You can use this calculator to figure our your own FoV; http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

The settings to change are;
cl_fov; this controls the world FoV, you can change it ingame from the console if you have patch v1.1
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov; This controls the sprint FoV, it should match cl_fov otherwise it will appear as you are "zooming in" when sprinting (Since you will be going from a wide FoV to a narrow one)
r_DrawNearFoV; This controls the FoV of the weapons you use, it is bugged though, if you set it higher than 60 it will go back to 60 when you use the binoculars in the game.

These are the settings I use in my Crysis 2\system.cfg file, the first two skips the intro movies and multiplayer login screen respectively
Code:
g_skipIntro = 1
g_enableInitialLoginScreen = 0
cl_fov = 74
r_DrawNearFoV = 60
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov = 74
Also if you want to run the same benchmark as I did to get the fps numbers above you can download the batch file attached to this post.
If you are viewing this from the news page comments you need to click on the text "subscribe to this thread" (not tick the button) to get to the forum view...
Please note that it requires patch version 1.0 (I.e. the Retail release)
It does not work with v1.1 because Crytek decided to remove almost all CL variables, again a testament to their support for PC gaming, this even made their own included benchmark stop working!

You can get around this by restoring the backup version of Crysis2.exe under the folder "Backup" in the Crysis2 dir to the bin32 folder, please of course first move the v1.1 Crysis2.exe file out of the way and somewhere you can easily identify it as the 1.1 version...

Attachments

• GPU Benchmark 1.zip
    355 bytes · Views: 3
Back