Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty GPU Benchmark

So my 3070 still does ~50 FPS on 1440p Ultra, should be good to go with some shadows and blur dissabled.

Wow, my 7900XTX gets annihilated with ray-tracing on. Good performance with it disabled though.

I'll certainly be keeping it disabled once I finally get around to playing CyberPunk!

The gap between the 4080 and 4090 really shows up with RT, the 4080 is 43% behind at 1440p and a whopping 57% behind at 4k Ultra RT (where both cards fail to deliver a playable experience). The 4080 has nearly 70% less cores though so even at its best, the 4090 does not perfectly scale. In raster though at 4K ultra the 4090 is only 34% ahead at 1440p the 4090 might have a bottleneck.

The 4080 is still too expensive, it should be $950 but definitely not more than $1000 given it's not that much faster than the 4070 Ti. It is certainly not worth $300-$400 more.

Interesting stuff.

Just another reminder that RT currently makes no sense at all, unless you plan on using a4090 or 4080 at 1080P. All other resolutions result in less than 60fps and this makes a game unplayable in my opinion. Yes, perhaps a combination of DLSS may help add some fps, but I still don't like all of the visual glitches that this technology introduces.

RT makes even less sense with mid-range cards....... Especially at 1440 or 4K......

Reminds me of the 3D TV craze a few years ago, or VR. Another 2 generations of video card is required to get decent RT frame rates and by this time, developers will be working on a better technology!!!

Just saying..... RT is nothing more than a glorified technology demo (IMO)....

Its still pointless to me to be chasing raytracing, these cards have massive headroom so why not use it on soemthing other than shiny puddles?

theres so many games that look better than cp2077 and also run very well, I guess these tech sites need clicks though so they have to follow whatever nvidia tosses from the table.

and I say this as someone with a 4080...

Interesting stuff.

Just another reminder that RT currently makes no sense at all....

Just saying..... RT is nothing more than a glorified technology demo (IMO)....
I feel like It's not even a tech demo, but a gimmick to justify selling server AI chips to general consumers, as nVidia skimped on developing separate, dedicated AI-compute and GPU chips. Developers should be using AI to develop better rasterised engines, instead of throwing gamers under a bus. The funniest thing I've seen recently was when one of the YouTubers trying to explain what RT is, mixed up rasterised and raytraced recordings. On top of that, most of the time raytraced reflections look unnatural - either some artifacts or too shiny to look natural.
I've xperimented myself with raytracing in CP, found decent settings, but eventually chosen fps over RT. artifacts were too distracting.

Hopefully soon ray tracing will be added to the bins of nvidia tech demos collecting dust.
wanna play rasterized games till death?

Remember tessellation and hair works?

Tessellation is a default feature now, even for ps4 era games.

HUrdr2.jpg.8797cb1fa869ed2cab171c5214a6fbee.jpg

Wow, my 7900XTX gets annihilated with ray-tracing on. Good performance with it disabled though.

I'll certainly be keeping it disabled once I finally get around to playing CyberPunk!

The only difference I've noticed with it on vs off is reflections, so I just left it off. Lighting in the game is just that good.

Now Path Tracing... That is a huge difference in shading.

I’m quite surprised at how well things scale. I’ve been running the CP 2077 2.0 update on a GTX1660 Super and 10700 at 55-60 FPS 1440p on the Digital Foundry recommended settings and FSR 2.1 auto. (It’s our spare PC on streaming duties in the living room.) Will probably update this GPU to a 7800XT at some stage but I’m amazed at how it still looks good and playable on the 1660S.

@nnguy2 RT does run smooth here. I'm actually replaying cp2077 as nomad, with PT+RR enabled. Visuals are mind blowing.
You know if you wanna play at medium quality rasterized with a 6700xt type of card at +60fps, you still can do it, and people who wanna have rt can have rt at the same time too.
Although it seems like that 6700xt is bare minium for not dropping under 60 fps at 1440p medium now, and the gap to 6800 has grown to 35% almost. Still, a +60 experience at medium settings, which in a game like cp still look quite okay.
NqU1yt7.png

No rt/pt game forbids dropping settings to lower presets with no rt, which you must think they do. But a lot of people do prefer better visuals, especially pc gaming enthusiasts, so everyone should be happy in the end. Radeons win with lower settings, which apparently you prefer, why so much complaining then ?

Ray tracing and path tracing are the only way we'll ever get cgi movie level quality in games, dunno why you're always complaining about it. Apparently people like better image quality. It's not like Ultra presets in games with no RT are doing anything different than ray tracing is doing. Try enabling ultra rasterized reflections and crank up water physics to max in rdr2. You'll lose 50% performance at times for little to no change.

Last edited:
It’s kind of sad the talks and focus especially regarding GPU’s is all about DLSS/FSR and Ray tracing which is essentially just more accurate lighting/reflections/shadows now days.

I much rather prefer for developers use the resources to push for higher polygon counts, more interactive destructible object/environments, better AI, more advance & better physics with objects.

It’s kind of sad the talks and focus especially regarding GPU’s is all about DLSS/FSR and Ray tracing which is essentially just more accurate lighting/reflections/shadows now days.

I much rather prefer for developers use the resources to push for higher polygon counts, more interactive destructible object/environments, better AI, more advance & better physics with objects.
One doesn't exclude the other. Did you see how great PhysX was for environment destruction in Control, while the game still looked amazing and delivered with the story ?

*My results * ( Game ver. 2.0 )
7900xtx/5950x
32Gbram
2560x1440

Ultra Preset (RT OFF / FSR OFF )
MIN=73
AVG=130
MAX=227

Ultra RT PRESET ( FSR OFF )
MIN-31
AVG-39
MAX-53

ULTRA RT/PT ( FSR OFF )
MIN-9
AVG-12
MAX-17

( Personally ) RT OFF and RT ON while gaming im not paying attention enough to detail to even notice ( but I notice the fps difference so id rather play without RT) ( at least with this game )

Last edited:
Still haven't bought Cyberpunk...waiting for the winter break as I'm sure it'll be patched to perfection by then and I'll have the time to enjoy it fully. Now, I have an RTX 3080 (10GB) w/ a 13700kf, can I get 60+ FPS w/ Raytracing at Ultra if I use DLSS 3.5? I've read it mitigates the high demand of Raytracing through software AI. I've used DLSS on Guardians of the Galaxy and loved the bump in FPS, and quite honestly I couldn't notice the difference in graphics quality with DLSS off, so the FPS boost of w/ DLSS on was totally worth it.

Soon, game developers will drop off this RT nonsense. It's just not worth it. When 5090 or 6090 RTX card is released, they will still play catch up with the next gen games. All at the stake of losing gameplay values.

Are you going to game or stop and look at light and water reflections? You are not watching a screensaver. At the frantic pace of avoiding enemy bullets you don't have time to admire all these gimmicks.

I have the 6750XT, and only play at 1080p, since my screen only supports that. So based on the results in this benchmark, I could expect to play this game at the highest settings, without ray tracing, and do fine.

Great review steve.
Cyberpunk 2.0's main new feature was Path Tracing.
Should have added that too.

Also, do add DLSS and FSR on bench results as that is a common usage for gpu owners now.
Specially for Nvidia users.

I think your work would become much easy and we won't need to look at other tech outlets.

Just run games at max settings (RT+RASTER all on) With DLSS/FSR at Quality.

RT is the disappointment that keeps on giving, always a setting too far from playable… every time you upgrade your gpu, they move goal post. Always the next greatest thing only runs on the next nvidia flagship.

RT fatigue, anyone?

Back