Developer delves into Denuvo DRM to run Hogwarts Legacy on a secondary PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
Hardcore DRM: Denuvo is an effective anti-tamper and DRM toolkit that many studios choose to protect their freshly developed games. The controversial technology is notoriously difficult to bypass or defeat, but one lone developer decided to undertake the challenge to understand how it functions under the hood.

DRM developer and reverse engineering expert Maurice Heumann decided to investigate the Denuvo DRM protection embedded in Hogwarts Legacy, the popular action RPG based on the Harry Potter saga, released in 2023 for PC and consoles. The developer dedicated five months of his life to reverse engineering the system in the Avalanche Software-developed game.

Heumann's goal was not to "crack" Hogwarts Legacy on PC, a task already accomplished by the notorious cracker Empress. Instead, he aimed to analyze Denuvo's inner workings, prompted by his previous research on an "integrity bypass" for Black Ops 3. While Empress managed to crack and seemingly remove Denuvo from Hogwarts Legacy in just a few days, Heumann encountered greater challenges and achieved a less-than-perfect result in the end.

Heumann explained that the DRM technology is designed to collect hardware and software "features" from a user's system to create a unique fingerprint and generate a "Steam Ticket." Both the fingerprint and tickets are then sent back to Denuvo's server, while the Steam Ticket is forwarded to Steam to verify that the user legitimately purchased the game through Valve's digital marketplace.

After ownership is confirmed, a "Denuvo Token" is generated, which can only function on the PC where the original fingerprint was created. This Denuvo Token is the data piece that the DRM technology utilizes to decrypt and execute the game on the user's PC. Hogwarts Legacy cannot operate without a Token, and Denuvo regularly verifies the fingerprint against the system's hardware to ensure it still matches.

Heumann spent considerable time attempting to identify all the features the game uses to create the fingerprint and then try to patch them out. He managed to pinpoint the most prominent ones with the help of Qiling, a powerful yet buggy "reverse engineering framework" designed to emulate various types of binary files. The developer created approximately 2,000 patches and hooks using the fingerprint generated by Denuvo for his PC. Ultimately, he succeeded in launching and partially loading Hogwarts Legacy on a secondary PC (a laptop) using a token generated for a different PC.

Heumann mentioned that he could continue trying to find all the runtime checks to completely defeat Denuvo, but he felt content with simply launching the game on a non-authenticated system.

He expressed his "utmost respect" for individuals like Empress, who dedicate enough time and motivation to remove Denuvo from any game. Additionally, the developer discovered that the technology does not seem to significantly impact a game's overall performance, confirming what the DRM developer stated in 2023.

Permalink to story:

“ Does Denuvo really deserve all the hate it gets from gamers?”

Yes.

Reminds me as a kid when we used to have a religion instructor come in once a week ( Christian ) . He was scoffing about evolution . Saying how silly humans evolved from apes. He asked us 10 year olds do I look like a monkey ? - we all said yes . That class was brutal on relief teachers - it was like a subconscious agreement to destroy them . Couldn't get any to come after awhile, so headmaster had to do relieving . Main teacher needed lots of time off - wonder why - think I got strapped at least 20 times in front of that class . High school was caning - but had to go to a specific room , every caning needed to be signed and witnessed by another teacher . Some of the teachers prided themselves they could draw blood . Bruises lasted at least a month . Those with whippy canes would bend around an get you on the edge on the front of for waist/hips . Still max limit was 6 strokes . Though some teachers would do what we called a bacon slicer , a downward motion , and whipping it back up , so getting 2 strokes for one - Who said teachers weren't smart . My uncle said at his school a teacher hollowed out his bamboo cane and put ball bearing's in it , to make to whip around even more effect.
Strap was across hand , with a leather strap , mostly fine , except poor aiming teachers who get your wrist.- still less worse than the game of knuckles where the backs of hands got so bruised they went green

Better also than the pedo teacher who loved pulling 11 year old boys and girls pants down to slap their bare bums . Did a search on that Pedo - seem to have avoided a criminal conviction . Smart enough to stop kissing girls on school camps - when people grew more aware. FN pig

Eh, the Dev here specifically mentioned it doesn't really affect performance much.

What I am more curious about, Techspot, is Denuvo's pricing model. Can we get an article on that?

Based on the fact that Denuvo is sometimes patched out of games after a year or more, and I doubt that is done out of the love and kindness of the publisher, I figure Denuvo likely has licensing fees or contracts with major publishers and after a long enough period of time Denuvo becomes more expensive to the publisher than any potential piracy its supposedly stopping.

It'd be curious to know what those are and if we can expect to have Denovo dropped from a games after six months, or a year, or is it based on player count, or hours played, or what exactly.

I think Denuvo is only an issue on those with potato computers. I've never had an issue with my previous i5, i7 and now i9 over the last 9+ years with any game that has it. People just need to learn to not try to play games on donkey rigs.

I think Denuvo is only an issue on those with potato computers. I've never had an issue with my previous i5, i7 and now i9 over the last 9+ years with any game that has it. People just need to learn to not try to play games on donkey rigs.
Instead of trying to shame gamers, why don't you instead shame the companies who insist on putting crap like this into their games?

Even if it affects 1-2 FPS, why would that be OK?

And even the absolute top-of-the-line gaming machine can't get 4k @ 240fps on a triple A game at top settings - so those 1-2 FPS MATTER.

Instead of trying to shame gamers, why don't you instead shame the companies who insist on putting crap like this into their games?
Shame the pirates that pirate that caused this. It's not the developer's fault for people stealing their product, but yet they should just allow it? That's just stupid talk right there...

Shame the pirates that pirate that caused this. It's not the developer's fault for people stealing their product, but yet they should just allow it? That's just stupid talk right there...
There has yet to be one shred of evidence that PROVES that piracy negatively affects game sales. In fact, many studies show that piracy possibly INCREASES sales.

People will buy a game if it's good... the same goes for music and movies by the way.

Nothing more than a cheap excuse for shallow people.
They have yet to prove to anyone that the majority of pirates were going to be potential customers.
If anything, a lot of pirates are doing so because they can't legally purchase it wherever they are. Or they're people looking for DRM-free copies.
Of course, you're also going to get some people who are cheap (or have crooked morals), but if you think that spiting those people and the well-meaning customers is a good thing overall, then I have some ocean-front property in Kentucky to sell you...

I know it's basically a meme to hate on Denuvo, but so long as it's presence in a game is clearly disclosed then oh well.

Gamers told devs/publishers to eff themselves with piracy. Devs/publishers said eff you gamers with Denuvo. Then we get to say eff you back by just not buying the games or waiting till it's patched out (usually when the game is like $10, fully stable/patched, and has all DLC included anyway).

I think the people that really hate Denuvo know that when push comes to shove, most gamers will just buy, buy, buy, enjoy the game, and then move on, dopamine fiends that they are.

I know it's basically a meme to hate on Denuvo, but so long as it's presence in a game is clearly disclosed then oh well.

Gamers told devs/publishers to eff themselves with piracy. Devs/publishers said eff you gamers with Denuvo. Then we get to say eff you back by just not buying the games or waiting till it's patched out (usually when the game is like $10, fully stable/patched, and has all DLC included anyway).

I think the people that really hate Denuvo know that when push comes to shove, most gamers will just buy, buy, buy, enjoy the game, and then move on, dopamine fiends that they are.

Most people that buy games will have no idea Denuvo exists.

There has yet to be one shred of evidence that PROVES that piracy negatively affects game sales. In fact, many studies show that piracy possibly INCREASES sales.

People will buy a game if it's good... the same goes for music and movies by the way.

Haha that’s such a crock of ****. Piracy. Grey market cd key sites. All cut into sales. Suggesting anything else is ridiculous. Try this if it was IMPOSSIBLE to pirate, would there be more game sales. If you think no you are in complete denial.

Haha that’s such a crock of ****. Piracy. Grey market cd key sites. All cut into sales. Suggesting anything else is ridiculous. Try this if it was IMPOSSIBLE to pirate, would there be more game sales. If you think no you are in complete denial.
Prove it - no one has been able to in decades…

Devils advocate...

Prove it isnt.

Its not a productive argument.
Obviously one can't prove something that isn't there... it's like proving that God doesn't exist...

The point is - why should gamers suffer over something that can't be proven to be true? Why should music lovers? Why should movie-goers?

For years, we've been told that prices for all of these things HAVE to increase - and that one of the reasons is piracy... well - there's NO evidence of piracy affecting anything, yet prices go up - as do their profits... if you're going to raise prices, just use the truth - you want the money :)

Obviously one can't prove something that isn't there... it's like proving that God doesn't exist...

The point is - why should gamers suffer over something that can't be proven to be true? Why should music lovers? Why should movie-goers?

For years, we've been told that prices for all of these things HAVE to increase - and that one of the reasons is piracy... well - there's NO evidence of piracy affecting anything, yet prices go up - as do their profits... if you're going to raise prices, just use the truth - you want the money
Games have not really gone up in price, snes/nes games were 40-70 bucks back in the day.

Games have not really gone up in price, snes/nes games were 40-70 bucks back in the day.
PC Game average prices by year (consoles don't use denuvo so I'm not including them):

Is that curve going up or down?

Average Movie ticket price:

Average rock concert price:

Prices go UP... they never go down... yes, inflation is part of it... but don't blame piracy - be honest :)

PC Game average prices by year (consoles don't use denuvo so I'm not including them):

Is that curve going up or down?

Average Movie ticket price:

Average rock concert price:

Prices go UP... they never go down... yes, inflation is part of it... but don't blame piracy - be honest :)
Be honest, I never indicated that piracy was the reason for inflation. Inflation is necessary and indicative of a healthy economy as long as wages rise faster than inflation.

Also be honest, games on NES and SNES cost $40-70. I was there, I paid for them. The steam report is for steam. Its not a good indication. It doesnt account for years of physical games or the cost associated with them. Steam allows tons of indie games and AAA titles, its not as cut and dry of a graph as you make it sound.

Games like donkey kong 64 and perfect dark were 69.99 in 1999, which is the equivalent of around $120 when adjusted for inflation.

Nobody is talking about music or movies, thats off topic.

If you want to be honest, be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back