Doom Movie to Come !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Continuing the pattern of such flicks as Tomb Raider and Resident Evil, it looks like id software's DOOM is the next game to make the transition to the silver screen.

"The story is set at a Mars space station, where an aerospace conglom is conducting secret experiments when something unleashes a demonic force that threatens to overtake the facility." Oooh! Someone bring me fresh shorts!

More here and here. Please let us know at once if this is a wind up!

So which do you think will be released first:

1)DOOM the crappy movie, or

2)DOOM III the very cool game

??

Make a movie based on a game that barely has a plot. Now that is gotta be worth watching (Not).

Wow Nic, maybe you should actually read the plot, its more than bare.

Lets just hope its done better then TR and RE.

Maybe, you'd like to fill the rest of us in on the 'plot' then agissi. Let us have a look at this 'more than bare' scenario.

What is the plot of DOOM, anyway? I never knew and never cared. I just knew it was a cool game. So was DOOM II and so will DOOM III be. As to the movie, it will be all special effects, rock music soundtrack and skin thrills - that's all.

Get over it people, this film aint ever going to happen - its been in development hell for 8-9 years now and with so much good stuff having come and gone, this films not going to add anything new.
At the time the idea was mooted, the Doom games were BIG and it seemed kind of cool to link it to a movie deal, there was certainly a great deal of speculation regarding this but nothing concrete came of it, no script, no director, no plot, nothing. after all whats the hero going to do, go on a 2 hour shooting spree?
Theres probably more chance of Jet Set Willy - the movie hitting the big screen!

Originally posted by Unregistered
after all whats the hero going to do, go on a 2 hour shooting spree?

That would be better than "Tomb Raider" or "Resident Evil" - don't you think !? ;)

You guys should read up on the Doom storyline. It is more than enough to form a movie with.

You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transfered to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corperation. The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in the rec room.

For the last four years the militaty, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct varios secret projects, including reaserch on inter-dimensional travel. So far they have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form of insanity - babbleing vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports state that the reserch is suffering a small set-back, but everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars recieved a garbled message from Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, attempts to establish contact with either moon have been unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence. Seems your buddies are dead.

acid> Well, they needed to make sure noone remembered what other movies Rick Morranis have starred in. And it took some time for him to get the muscle the movie required from him.
(Yes, there was talk about using Rick Morranis as the lead player in Doom the Movie!)

As for the plot, hey that's half the fun of Doom!
Did all you guys pirate it? It's in the manual right at the start. (Just like many other manuals of the time had funny/cool/interesting back-stories to the game in the manual...)

As for which game will come out first, I somehow doubt they'll go for "Doom3 the movie", since most sequels suck...

The plot never made it out of the manual. There wasn't even a hint of it in the game. Cool game none-the-less.

So long as they don't get Paul Anderson (Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat & other horrible films he's directed, & the soon to be released, uggh, Aliens V Predator) to do it would be a good start. I dunno how they'd go about making a movie of it though, but I'm be pretty sure we can expect there to be several main characters (Well, a squad of marines anyway) & no doubt the bad guy will be some evil scientist, or a possessed evil scientist.

Actually, I can imagine the ending going something along the lines blasting away a load of demons in this set piece fight near the portal machine & after confronting him (scientist) at the portal rim kicking/shooting him into the machine/portal while uttering the words "Go to hell" or "You didn't stand a chance in hell" while simultaneously destroying the teleporter machine in doing so. As the "hero" is alone now on Mars the camera cuts to a close up of his face & we see his eyes flash red. Cue credits & sequel if successful.

They should have Bruce Campbell from the Evil Dead series star as the lone Marine in this Doom movie. That would be hillarious! Heck Bruce Campbell already knows how to use a chainsaw and shotgun. lol.

Now, the Bruce Campbell thing WOULD be funny....

In fact, I''m laughing about it right now....

But in the abscence of that, is there any chance that instead of making this movie we can just have movie-like cut scenes in the game?

Better yet - can we have Bruce Campbell in the game, and NO MOVIE?

Bruce Campbell, heh, yeah that would be funny alright. As it is they could pretty much just composite Ash into a Doomish background. Hail to the king baby.

Eek. I vote against Bruce Campbell. I don't want this movie to be funny. I'd rather it be 100% serious. That would ruin it. Doom isn't meant to be funny.

Sorry but I gotta vote for Bruce Campbell too. Maybe his hand can go ballistic in this movie too... :D

You can use the person who was in Rambo! :grinthumb but yeah this is never going to happened. I read off of Blizzard that they were going to make a movie on WarCraft III and they said that like a year ago! And I haven't heared anything since.

Come on guys, Resident Evil wasn't that bad of a movie. And the next RE movie I think looks pretty good.

The special effects on the creature in RE looked really tacky. But I enjoyed the rest of the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back