TechSpot

Doom Movie to Come !

By Phantasm66
Jun 13, 2004
  1. Continuing the pattern of such flicks as Tomb Raider and Resident Evil, it looks like id software's DOOM is the next game to make the transition to the silver screen.

"The story is set at a Mars space station, where an aerospace conglom is conducting secret experiments when something unleashes a demonic force that threatens to overtake the facility." Oooh! Someone bring me fresh shorts!

More here and here. Please let us know at once if this is a wind up!

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 5,734   +7

So which do you think will be released first:

1)DOOM the crappy movie, or

2)DOOM III the very cool game

??

3. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,350

They were talking about making a movie based on Doom back in 1995 too. Took this long? That's sad.

4. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

Make a movie based on a game that barely has a plot. Now that is gotta be worth watching (Not).

5. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

Wow Nic, maybe you should actually read the plot, its more than bare.

Lets just hope its done better then TR and RE.

6. Nic

Maybe, you'd like to fill the rest of us in on the 'plot' then agissi. Let us have a look at this 'more than bare' scenario.

7. Phantasm66

What is the plot of DOOM, anyway? I never knew and never cared. I just knew it was a cool game. So was DOOM II and so will DOOM III be. As to the movie, it will be all special effects, rock music soundtrack and skin thrills - that's all.

8. Get over it people, this film aint ever going to happen - its been in development hell for 8-9 years now and with so much good stuff having come and gone, this films not going to add anything new.
    At the time the idea was mooted, the Doom games were BIG and it seemed kind of cool to link it to a movie deal, there was certainly a great deal of speculation regarding this but nothing concrete came of it, no script, no director, no plot, nothing. after all whats the hero going to do, go on a 2 hour shooting spree?
    Theres probably more chance of Jet Set Willy - the movie hitting the big screen!

9. Phantasm66

That would be better than "Tomb Raider" or "Resident Evil" - don't you think !? ;)

10. acidosmosis

You guys should read up on the Doom storyline. It is more than enough to form a movie with.

11. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,512

acid> Well, they needed to make sure noone remembered what other movies Rick Morranis have starred in. And it took some time for him to get the muscle the movie required from him.
    (Yes, there was talk about using Rick Morranis as the lead player in Doom the Movie!)

As for the plot, hey that's half the fun of Doom!
    Did all you guys pirate it? It's in the manual right at the start. (Just like many other manuals of the time had funny/cool/interesting back-stories to the game in the manual...)

As for which game will come out first, I somehow doubt they'll go for "Doom3 the movie", since most sequels suck...

12. Phantasm66

Ever tried to follow the plot of the original QUAKE? Don't bother.

13. Nic

The plot never made it out of the manual. There wasn't even a hint of it in the game. Cool game none-the-less.

14. Phantasm66

Something to do with some guy, whos name IS "Quake", I believe....

15. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,319

So long as they don't get Paul Anderson (Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat & other horrible films he's directed, & the soon to be released, uggh, Aliens V Predator) to do it would be a good start. I dunno how they'd go about making a movie of it though, but I'm be pretty sure we can expect there to be several main characters (Well, a squad of marines anyway) & no doubt the bad guy will be some evil scientist, or a possessed evil scientist.

Actually, I can imagine the ending going something along the lines blasting away a load of demons in this set piece fight near the portal machine & after confronting him (scientist) at the portal rim kicking/shooting him into the machine/portal while uttering the words "Go to hell" or "You didn't stand a chance in hell" while simultaneously destroying the teleporter machine in doing so. As the "hero" is alone now on Mars the camera cuts to a close up of his face & we see his eyes flash red. Cue credits & sequel if successful.

16. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 407

They should have Bruce Campbell from the Evil Dead series star as the lone Marine in this Doom movie. That would be hillarious! Heck Bruce Campbell already knows how to use a chainsaw and shotgun. lol.

17. Phantasm66

Now, the Bruce Campbell thing WOULD be funny....

In fact, I''m laughing about it right now....

But in the abscence of that, is there any chance that instead of making this movie we can just have movie-like cut scenes in the game?

Better yet - can we have Bruce Campbell in the game, and NO MOVIE?

18. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,319

Bruce Campbell, heh, yeah that would be funny alright. As it is they could pretty much just composite Ash into a Doomish background. Hail to the king baby.

19. acidosmosis

Eek. I vote against Bruce Campbell. I don't want this movie to be funny. I'd rather it be 100% serious. That would ruin it. Doom isn't meant to be funny.

20. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Sorry but I gotta vote for Bruce Campbell too. Maybe his hand can go ballistic in this movie too... :D

21. MassDmg

MassDmg TS Rookie

Bah, this sucks, arnold swar... would be great for that role

22. Akio

Akio TS Rookie Posts: 249

You can use the person who was in Rambo! :grinthumb but yeah this is never going to happened. I read off of Blizzard that they were going to make a movie on WarCraft III and they said that like a year ago! And I haven't heared anything since.

23. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Come on guys, Resident Evil wasn't that bad of a movie. And the next RE movie I think looks pretty good.

24. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

The special effects on the creature in RE looked really tacky. But I enjoyed the rest of the movie.

25. Akio

Akio TS Rookie Posts: 249

There's a Resident Evil Movie?!?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.