Download of the Week: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, HWiNFO32

Jos

Staff

Taking a little departure from our usual 'Download of the Week' posts today I want to highlight not one, but two programs that we recently became official mirrors for (along with CCEnhancer which was featured last week). The first of them is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, a simple yet powerful and relatively speedy malware removal tool that's available in free and paid versions. The main difference between the two is real-time monitoring, but if you don't need active scanning against threats, the free version uses the same database and does an excellent job hunting down nasty infections.

Setting up Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is straightforward and fast. It's a small ~6MB download and takes about a minute to install. The interface is completely intuitive and streamlined so even someone with little knowledge about security software run this program periodically and keep his system free of malicious wares.

Our second recommendation is a free hardware information and diagnostic tool called HWiNFO32. In a nutshell, this little tool will show you everything there is to know about the hardware you are running. This includes processor, BIOS, RAM, motherboard, system cache, storage, and a lot more. You can also use this program to run benchmarks, gather information from sensor chips (temperature, voltage, and fan speed monitoring), and save detailed reports.

Permalink to story.

I've been using free Malwarebytes forever it seems. It's a great virus/trojan catch-em tool.

i use spybot search and destroy also free..
HWiNFO32 is great! way more information than i comprehend but i'll be looking in to it.

By the way does any one know a website of some sort that tell you what you pc parts temperature should be ? i wan't to compare

am I missing something or is HWiNFO32 essentially doing the same thing that CPU-Z does, sans temperatures?

HWiNFO32 looks like something a lot of people I know could use. GPU-z doesn't tell you the exact name of your GPU. Malwarebytes is awesome, highly recommended.

Malwarebytes is awesome i had a little mishap yesterday and decided to try it out!
Tho i find it weird that Malwarebyte does not bring bad cookies to my attention and spy bot does..

Malwarebytes is awesome i had a little mishap yesterday and decided to try it out!
Tho i find it weird that Malwarebyte does not bring bad cookies to my attention and spy bot does..
Usually you need more than one program to find problems if you're "tempting the hand of fate", so to speak, in certain areas of the internet.

While many people look down on Spybot nowadays, it also has a fine startup manager in the program. Not to mention that its "immunize" function, is equivalent to the "hosts file", which won't allow you to load known bad pages!

CCleaner and "Advanced System Care", can help you out with cookies, temp files, MRUs and the like also.

One last thing, the "Tea Timer" in Spybot is a resource hog, using on the order of 100MB of memory.

yea i bet your right. adding Malwarebytes to my arsenal won't hurt one bit.

as of right now Tea timer is using 84MB. My question is it worth running? not that it gets in the way of my daily computer usage i just wonder.

as of right now Tea timer is using 84MB. My question is it worth running? not that it gets in the way of my daily computer usage i just wonder.
I'm not really sure. It was more relevant during the IE6 era, when the browser was easier to penetrate with active X controls. It prevents (?) registry changes without your knowledge, such as would happen in a drive by download situation. Is it effective, not sure. I say, let your paranoia if not your conscience be your guide.

I have multiple machines, and I do keep the Tea Timer running on my old XP internet box.

I've used Malwarebytes for a couple of years and it's done the job 100% (touch Wood) Only problem I had was I somehow turned on webste blocking and it seen nearly every paged I visited as a threat. Took me half a day to discover what had happened.

Back