DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS THAN blah blah

AliCeX

Ok, I'm working with Windows Vista Home, 32-bit on a Compaq SR2170NX. I have a repeating BSOD with the error in my topic and it points to ndis.sys. Now I've ran Memtest, reseated the RAM and all that hullaballoo, and I'm 100% positive it's a driver issue. I can't figure out which one, and I can't get into windows to tell it to create a minidmp file. So all I can offer is my ntbtlog.txt file and the BSOD code...

0x000000D1 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x83E2366D)

NDIS.SYS - Address 83E2366D base at 83E0A000, Datestamp 49e02080

And it might help if I actually attach the file...but I can't because it's too big...Sorry I don't know how I'm supposed to post it

Ndis.sys is Windows OS network layer driver crucial for network interface controllers that access the internet.

What concerns me is the log you attached states a long list of drivers, et.al. that were unable to load. Do you know how to run a harddrive diagnostics?

Your issue may also be a bad NIC card.

Well I ran chkdsk /r, and chkdsk /f numerous times...do you have something better I should use?

Barracuda 7200.9 SATA 160-GB Hard Drive

Also, this all happened after a Windows update, though I'm not sure what was updated

Windows updates have been known to cause these problems. Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

As for the harddrive, Seagate has a free harddrive utility called Seatools. Burn the ISO file to a CD, place it in your DVD drive and reboot. The test should engage seconds after you have rebooted. You may need to place your DVD drive as first bootable in the BIOS in order to get this to engage.

Do the tests in this order: S.M.A.R.T., Short DST, and especially the Long DST.

I have the utility you told me to download, however I cannot get my keyboard or mouse to work in either USB ports or PS2 ports. I'm stuck at the license agreement...

NVM, I'm using the TXT version..seems to be working

You appear to have a good grasp of tech knowledge. Do you have access to another system in order to "slave" your harddrive into a second system? If so, you should be able to access this harddrive and run diagnostics upon it.

My only other computer is a laptop, so no. I'm running the long scan now, though I wasn't able to run the S.M.A.R.T scan in the txt mode. I have Hiren's if you need me to be in a bootable environment to fix anything

Ok, scan is complete...everything passed with no problems...what should my next plan of attack be?

GFX may be the issue?

I have had this BSOD a few times whilst fixing customers machines and it turned out to be a faulty GFX card?
Do you have a spare that you can quickly swap out your current card with to make sure?

Do you have a friend who would allow you to slave your harddrive into his/her system?

How old is this system?

In that other system you should be able to slave it and then access this harddrive through this system. Run security scans and any harddrive diagnostics that you haven't been able to do. We're trying to fully rule out or confirm if the source of your issue is the harddrive.

I can do all that now with my Hiren's Boot CD. I'm almost 100% sure it's not a hard drive issue, and it's a driver issue. I just don't know which one it is...

Back