TechSpot

DVD drive not recognizing DVDs

By Aximilator
Jan 19, 2010
  1. Hi all

I have been trying to fix this problem on my own for quite some time now and have given up so i came here for help. My dvd drive only reads dvd's and will not recognize empty ones so i can burn. it does the same for cd's. I tryed switching my drive with a different one and it still doesnt work. since i switched it i do not think that it is the drive i think it has to do with something else in the pc. or not having the drive.

my pc is a compaq presario s4100nx

specs are:

1gb ram

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.50GHz

any other information you need. please let me know!

thanks in advance

2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,256

If you've tried uninstalling and re-installing the drive with no luck then it could be
    Possible IDE controller problem
    in device manager > remove IDE controllers.. all of them. > reboot > IDE Controllers will be reinstalled automatically
    This is step 7 in the troubleshooting guide found here
    http://winhlp.com/node/10
    I would read through the whole guide just in case there are indicators you see (and you haven't listed in the post) which would lead to a better solution.
    Hope this helps. If you could post back either way it would be appreciated by those that follow you.

3. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

4. Aximilator

Aximilator TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 63

thanks dividebyzero i will try. and lookinAround nice seeing you again. i will try both of your things and let you know.

5. Aximilator

Aximilator TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 63

thanks guys, i am really sorry for all the trouble, but i am a complete *****. i never even checked if i could right dvd's turns out the drive is not capable of it. wow i suck. umm so thanks for the help anyways.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.