TechSpot

DVD drive not recognizing DVDs

By Aximilator
Jan 19, 2010
  1. Hi all

I have been trying to fix this problem on my own for quite some time now and have given up so i came here for help. My dvd drive only reads dvd's and will not recognize empty ones so i can burn. it does the same for cd's. I tryed switching my drive with a different one and it still doesnt work. since i switched it i do not think that it is the drive i think it has to do with something else in the pc. or not having the drive.

my pc is a compaq presario s4100nx

specs are:

1gb ram

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.50GHz

any other information you need. please let me know!

thanks in advance

2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,909   +716

If you've tried uninstalling and re-installing the drive with no luck then it could be
    Possible IDE controller problem
    in device manager > remove IDE controllers.. all of them. > reboot > IDE Controllers will be reinstalled automatically
    This is step 7 in the troubleshooting guide found here
    http://winhlp.com/node/10
    I would read through the whole guide just in case there are indicators you see (and you haven't listed in the post) which would lead to a better solution.
    Hope this helps. If you could post back either way it would be appreciated by those that follow you.

3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

4. Aximilator

Aximilator TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 86

thanks dividebyzero i will try. and lookinAround nice seeing you again. i will try both of your things and let you know.

5. Aximilator

Aximilator TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 86

thanks guys, i am really sorry for all the trouble, but i am a complete *****. i never even checked if i could right dvd's turns out the drive is not capable of it. wow i suck. umm so thanks for the help anyways.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.