DVD drive won't write

By pdsterling
Apr 14, 2008
  1. As this is my premiere speech, I shall try to be brief:

My area of expertise in computers is concentrated in the keyboard. I am only a bare novice or advanced newbie on hardware. Recently, I added an IDE PCI controller card and second hard drive, as I have lots of data I want to store. Works Fine!!!

However, my DVD drive has gone wonky. I can read DVDs, I can read CDs, but I can't write DVDs, and I want to back up my system! :mad:

To try to answer questions which might be asked, its a generic clone with 512 MB of memory (working on that) and when I look at the system, for the hard drive it says, "HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H455N SCSI CdRom Device". It says LG on the outside.

Can someone help me figure this out?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

DiscInfo should tell you the drive capabilities:

Once extracted
    Click on View (in the DiscInfo window)
    Then capabilities info
    This will tell you if it can write DVDs

You can also click on View and firmware updates
  3. pdsterling

pdsterling TS Rookie Topic Starter

making progress with DVD burner, I think

Thanks!!! :grinthumb Nothing cheers me up like spot-on advice, except that it didn't move me very far. I downloaded the recommended software, with the following result: nine read capabilities and eight write capabilities were checked. That's good, right?

I am using Nero Express, which came with the drive and a disk marked DVD-R. I choose DVD, choose make data disk, add a folder (good sized folder), finish, Next I edited the disk title, Burn. I get a message saying, Generate ISO Names, then Checking Disks, and that's when it gets into a loop and goes no further.

If you can get me burning, I have a pound of Russell Stover's right here which I can upload to any address on the planet. Thanks in advance (again)
  4. kimsland

The 9 Read and 8 write, are basically perfect :grinthumb

Therefore it's likely that the problem lies in your Nero program
    To actually confirm this beyond a shadow of a doubt, you can burn blank discs using Windows built in burning capabilities. To do this:
    • Place a new bank writable disc in the DVD Writer
    • Close any pop up window
    • Open "My Computer"
    • Double click to open your DVD Drive
    • This will open a blank folder (if you see please insert a disk error goto Note: below then return here)
    • Drag some data files to the blank DVD folder
    • Select "Burn these files to disk"
    • Give it any Disc name (ie test)
    • Burn

The built in Windows burning service can be disabled by installing 3rd party writing software
    • Under this condition, click on Start->Run-> Services.msc
    • Maximize the Services window
    • Scroll down to "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"
    • Double click on it, to open it
    • In the middle of the window, you should see "Startup Type"
    • Use the drop down window, and select Automatic, then select Apply
    • Select "Start" button
    • Select Ok
    • Close the Services window

If it still does not burn:
    • Confirm that you have your Nero software
    • Go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel
    • Locate Nero, and select un-install
    • Restart
    Test using the Windows burning service (refer above, blank disc in, My Computer...)

If it still does not burn: !
    • Click on Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc
    • Click on the plus + sign on DVD/CD Rom Drives
    • Right click on your DVD labelled drive
    • Select un-install
    • Ok
    • Restart
    • Allow Windows to automatically find and set up the DVD Writer
    Test using the Windows burning service (refer above, blank disc in, My Computer...)

If it still does not burn: !!
    It is most likely you have a faulty DVD Writer
    You can either test in another computer (internal hardware experience required)
    Or have it replaced

If it does work !
    • Re-install Nero
    • Do a test data burn
    • All should be now Ok

Phew! Now, where's my chocolate? :)
  5. pdsterling

pdsterling TS Rookie Topic Starter

Wow - what a lot of work

You do realize that, karma-wise, I will have to help the next ten people who come to me, whining that it hurts when they put their hand above their head (solution: don't do that).

Many, many grateful thanks :grinthumb for taking so much time with me and my problem; it appears that what I feared, the disk drive is faulty, although I can't see how it can be good one day and faulty the next, any more than I can see how software can work one day and not the next, but that's not the issue here.

I wish I could say I dropped the drive on the floor, or was holding onto a 34,500 kv transmission line when I moved it, but I didn't and I wasn't. Guess this is just the Sterling Curse in action (you've heard of Murphy's Law? stolen from my family) :suspiciou

I was bidding on a drive on e-bay last night, but was beat out - have to get back to doing that, and again thanx - BTW, you didn't give me the URL to upload your chocolate to :haha:
  6. kimsland

Just drop it off to anyone of these:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.