TechSpot

Elon Musk pledges $1 million to help build museum to honor Nikola Tesla

By Shawn Knight
Jul 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Nikola Tesla, regarded by many as the true Father of Electricity, would have been 158 years old today. His contributions to the field of electricity and science are well-documented and even more than 70 years after his death, he's still...

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,911   +362

Man worth over 8 bil donates one mil to a museum built in honor of someone who clearly inspired him?
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,664   +879

Yeah, that's pretty much like spare change to keep his mug in the paper, isn't it?

Did he arrive at the news conference in a flying car?:oops:
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,836   +666

Stay tuned, I'm thinking the next headline will be:
    Elon Musk pledges $8 billion to help build museum to honor Elon Musk
  5. captaincranky

I guess I won't be getting a museum anytime soon, will I?:oops:
  6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,426   +217

Not unless you build one yourself. :)
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,937   +1,473

Don't we already have a museum we can dedicate to captaincranky? Currently known as Hugh Hefner's home.
    ikesmasher and Khanonate like this.
  8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,836   +666

Sounds high maintenance on the curator, if not the exhibits themselves. The cut-price (performance/$ ?) option might be to locate the museum in an economically depressed area ( I.e. Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Baltimore, Somalia) where the necessities of life trump Porsche's, coke, and promises of walk-on parts in Steven Segal movies.
    [​IMG]
  9. captaincranky

I'll have it moved to St. Petersburg Russia, where all the really cute bunnies are.

For those not faint of heart and well past the age of majority, google "Barbamiska".
    (Yeah, that's "Barbie" in Russian, but without any shame, pride, principles, or imhibition). Not to mention the spitting image of Julia Stiles: [​IMG] I guess you'll have to take my word for that....:oops:

In that case, Camden NJ sounds like it's in the running too. As long as I can get there in my flying car without a midair refueling situation.

I'll have the attic remodeled too. I'll be damned if I'm going up there with the picture of that Dorian Heffner guy.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,025   +735

Can't I be part of it as well? We can always invite Musk there for a weekend and empty his pockets. ;)
  11. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,765   +531

Rebuilding the Tesla machine is a better tribute, imo.

12. Neojt

Neojt TS Enthusiast Posts: 139   +9

How can it cost 8 mil to make a museum out of the old lab?
  13. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,065   +704

Are you implying he didn't give enough?
    Musk is a business man, not a scientist. I really doubt he was inspired by Nikola Tesla, it's probably just a great logical name for his company. He has money from Paypal, not Tesla. Tesla hasn't turned a profit yet. Being 'worth' 8 billion doesn't mean you can write a check for even 1 billion.

This guy who's building the museum just got 1 million bucks for sending a tweet and following up a phone call! He just won the lottery... You can bet he didn't say anything like.... 'well... you HAVE 8 Billion...'
  14. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 380   +79

What if he decided not to do this, nobody would say a word.
  15. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 503   +82

Hey, Elon, I'm building a museum to Nicholas Teslak as well! Can I get a million dollars?
  16. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,911   +362

Im simply implying its odd hes not a little more generous considering the cause. I hardly see how a relatively random scientist's last name is the "ideal" name for an electric car company so I would think thats out of the question..

If it were me in that situation, I probably would have donated 25 mil, not because im saying im more generous than Musk, but because id want to support the cause because tesla was awesome and there is a lot to be learned from such a museum.

Musk might not be some official, degree-d scientist, and he is a businessman, but ill be damned if he doesn't love science.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  17. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,932   +899

That is what happens when you have an abnormal ammount of money.

That headline will come eventually. It is just a matter of time.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.