Esc mobo problems

By trichell
Apr 23, 2008
  1. From what I can piece together my daughter and her friend plug in a old AIP Pencam to the USB port and the CPU shut down. When I turned it on the option to restart from safe mode opened. The problem is that during XP start up the computer Shuts off and restarts. I removed the hard drive and installed a new 80g (thinking it was the HD)and could not install XP on it. SATA1, and SATA2 would not work. I was able to use a boot disc on SATA4 to set up partitions, but when I put the Windows XP it said that the HD did not have enough space. I reset the CMOS but still no luck. The only thing left is to flash the BIOS, but not sure if that’s going to work. I am able to get into my BIOS.

Will flashing the BIOS help?

What I have:
    (AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Manchester 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 67W Single-Core Processor)

(KV2 Extreme (V1.0)
    Socket 939 for AMD Athlon™ 64 processor)

(G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory)

(Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300)

(EXCELSTOR Jupiter Series ESJ8080S 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive)

(SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe)

(SAPPHIRE 100182L Radeon X1550 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card)

(Power Up / 550-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / Power Supply)

(SABRENT TV Tuner / Video Capture / MPEG Recording PCI Card with Remote Control TV-PCIRC PCI Interface)

(Ideazon Zboard Gaming Keyboard - PW1USE1-B3ZBD01 2-Tone USB Wired)
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

The motherboards southbridge has probably been damaged by the Pencam... only a motherboard replacement can fix this
  3. trichell

trichell TS Rookie Topic Starter

would the south bridge effect the HD or cause damage to it?
  4. Tmagic650

No the hard drive should be fine. Only the hard drives data might be corrupted. A format and reinstall of the operating system might be all that's needed
  5. trichell

Thanks! Iwasn't sure about the HD. I put it in a friends CPU o retrieve the data and it fried his MOBO. It could have been some static though. I still have 1 CPU left but I’m scared to try it on that one. I may find a cheap MOBO to try it on or something that s easily replaced. It does have a lot of info I would like to retrieve. When it was set up it was divided in to 2 separate drives c: was OS and H: was programs & info.
  6. Tmagic650

I just repaired an HP laptop that was damaged by plugging in a cheap USB MP3 player. All the hard drives data was lost after the motherboards replacement...

On the "ESC" you mean ECS right?
  7. trichell

Yes, ECS Elitegroup KV2 Extreme (V1.0) Socket 939 for AMD Athlon™ 64 processor.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.