Esc mobo problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can piece together my daughter and her friend plug in a old AIP Pencam to the USB port and the CPU shut down. When I turned it on the option to restart from safe mode opened. The problem is that during XP start up the computer Shuts off and restarts. I removed the hard drive and installed a new 80g (thinking it was the HD)and could not install XP on it. SATA1, and SATA2 would not work. I was able to use a boot disc on SATA4 to set up partitions, but when I put the Windows XP it said that the HD did not have enough space. I reset the CMOS but still no luck. The only thing left is to flash the BIOS, but not sure if that’s going to work. I am able to get into my BIOS.

Will flashing the BIOS help?

What I have:
(AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Manchester 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 67W Single-Core Processor)

(KV2 Extreme (V1.0)
Socket 939 for AMD Athlon™ 64 processor)

(G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory)

(Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300)

(EXCELSTOR Jupiter Series ESJ8080S 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive)

(SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe)

(SAPPHIRE 100182L Radeon X1550 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card)

(Power Up / 550-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / Power Supply)

(SABRENT TV Tuner / Video Capture / MPEG Recording PCI Card with Remote Control TV-PCIRC PCI Interface)

(Ideazon Zboard Gaming Keyboard - PW1USE1-B3ZBD01 2-Tone USB Wired)

The motherboards southbridge has probably been damaged by the Pencam... only a motherboard replacement can fix this

No the hard drive should be fine. Only the hard drives data might be corrupted. A format and reinstall of the operating system might be all that's needed

Thanks! Iwasn't sure about the HD. I put it in a friends CPU o retrieve the data and it fried his MOBO. It could have been some static though. I still have 1 CPU left but I’m scared to try it on that one. I may find a cheap MOBO to try it on or something that s easily replaced. It does have a lot of info I would like to retrieve. When it was set up it was divided in to 2 separate drives c: was OS and H: was programs & info.

I just repaired an HP laptop that was damaged by plugging in a cheap USB MP3 player. All the hard drives data was lost after the motherboards replacement...

On the "ESC" you mean ECS right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back