TechSpot

External hard drive not showing in My Computer

By proquals
Apr 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. HELP!!!

I have a 500gb external hard drive which, up until a few days ago, was working absolutely fine.

When I would plug it in to my laptop the device was found under 'my computer'.but would not open. Instead when I tried to open it my computer froze and the 'not responding' message was shown, resulting in a forced close of my computer. Now when I attach the hard drive and open 'my computer' the hard drive does not show at all, but 'my computer' still shows the message 'not responding', resulting in a forced close.

I've been on to a couple of forums already and tried the route of right clicking 'my computer', 'manage' and 'disk management'; but the hard drive does not appear there.

I'm at a total loss what to do and would massively appreciate your help as I have backed up company data on to this hard drive.

Thank you in advance!

2. TheHawk

TheHawk TS Enthusiast Posts: 33   +9

Hey pcrquals. I would try the drive in another pc to narrow down where the problem is, a problem with the drive itself, or a problem with the pc recognizing the drive, which might be a problem with the USB port(s) or with the USB drivers. Does another USB device like a flashdrive work when plugged into the same port?

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Is this a drive you formatted and set up? Or is this a store bought item in a case with a brand name?
    The store-bought drives in enclosures have a very bad history... among the worst failure rates in computer-dom... Unless you have a lot of valuable data on it awreddy, test it on another machine... then if non-working stop while you are ahead, and build your own from a good Western Digital or Sealate with an enclosure from someplace like Directron.com or NewEgg or Frys, or CDW.com.

4. Barradice

Barradice TS Rookie

@The Hawk : I have a similar prob with my ext Iomega 1GB HD. Have been using it for a long time on my laptop but suddenly is not recognized on my computer. I try to follow previous fixes such as I go to Disk Management, find my device there and says it is unallocated. When I right click only gives me the option of New Simple Volume. There is a smaller box to the left and when I right click on that gives me the options of Convert to dynamic disk or GPT disk. Where to go from here?? Any Help is greatly appreciated :)