Firefox 3: Downloaded or installed?

Firefox 3 Did You, Or Didn't You.......

• I downloaded it, installed it, I'm thrilled with it.

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • I downloaded it, installed it, give me back FF2

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I downloaded it, but didn't install it.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I didn't download it yet, I'm still thinking it over

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I downloaded it, installed it, still using another browser as primary.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I'd rather use IE or Opera, I'm not going to get it

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

captaincranky

With yesterday being hyped as "download day" for Firefox 3, what do you do about it, er, and how do you feel about it?

I attempted to download, but the piece of junk server was down EVERY time I tried to get it. I want to try it out and like it, but I don't think its going ot happen.

Voted: I didn't download it yet, I'm still thinking it over

Voted: Downloaded it, Installed it, Thrilled!

I installed it.

I went to the mirrors at a lucky time and found it. Downloaded it, backed up my bookmarks just in case, and installed. Fast as Safari, and lots of awesome extensions!

Sitting on the fence......

I too managed to hit the server at a lucky moment, so it's sitting in my download folder, ready to go.
That was sort of a weird goings on yesterday, because if you went to Firefox.com, the download page was still FF 2.0014, and if you clicked through to the "try FF 3", you got FF "RC 3". The only link that led me to FF3 itself was the one that Julio posted.

Anyway, some of the extensions and themes have been removed from FF.com. I'm guessing because of incompatability reasons. Pity really, since my favorite browser theme was "Metal Lion 300", written by Frank Lion.

i have been using pre release versions since beta 3 and I got it right after getting home from my exams yesterday

I installed it on 2 computers, my work one and my home laptop. Still using Opera as my primary browser though. I only use FF if something doesn't load properly in Opera. Was incredibly disappointed when FF3 wouldn't work with my mouse gestures extension, I don't know how anyone can browse on a desktop computer (using a mouse) without mouse gestures.

SNGX1275 said:
Was incredibly disappointed when FF3 wouldn't work with my mouse gestures extension, I don't know how anyone can browse on a desktop computer (using a mouse) without mouse gestures.
Are you one of the users who like to be immersed in EVERY SINGLE APPLICATION? :p

What're you talking about? Opera has mouse gestures built-in, which is one of the reasons I love using it. The other's pure, raw speed. Opera 9.5 is the fastest browser out there IMO. I downloaded and installed FF3 just so I have another browser I can use to open pages that refuse to open or load properly in Opera and I don't have to resort to using IE.

Sry...I have had yet to even discover this feature. (I didn't even know about it until I read SNGX's post and searched it on google.)

I'm 'a Skeerd

I don't want to wait for the extensions to be updated either, so I haven't installed it yet. Mostly I don't want to loose my themes, but I think the ones that are downloadable now are compatible with FF3. (! or ? or fingers crossed).

I have Verizon DSL with IE7. This is the s*** that nightmares are made from. I had to reformat my machine and reinstall the Verizon software by phone. Now I have to type my entire Email address & password to enter my home page or leave myself logged in. Worse still I would have to create another Windows user account for myself for each email address I might create. This is tacit UAC imported from Vista to break my b***s.
Then (well in addition to being **** ugly) IE 7 has the page control buttons on the opposite side of the screen. Forward & back on the left, refresh & stop on the right. Does Microsoft actually pay people to come up with this nonsense?

Thanx for listening, I feel much better now.

I probably don't use Opera so I shouldn't comment on it, but Firefox seems like it's stock configuration is more to my liking. I'm fairly certain I could get it to act like FF, but that seems like it would be sacreligious. Which is another way of saying I'm too lazy.;)

I like the option where you don't have to install the software. (The magic of living in an unfound town with Verizon DSL, nothing is up to date and they really don't care what you do with your IC.)

I install the CD on an old PC so I don't crapware up my new one, then I hook up the router and connect all of my other pc's. Then I reformat the crapware'd pc. There! No evil Verizon software!

Obi-Wan Jerkobi said:
Are you one of the users who like to be immersed in EVERY SINGLE APPLICATION? :p
Not sure I'm following you. Mouse gestures are just a very easy way to go back and foward (and do other things like open tabs, close tabs, and other stuff but I just use for back and foward). They allow you to go back or foward without needing to hit some keystroke or drag your mouse up to the top left of the screen every time you want to go back.

Also you mentioned liking where you don't have to install stuff. Well in Firefox you have a pretty basic browser that you build to your liking with extensions, in Opera many of the common FF extensions are built into the browser.

We don't need to turn this into a browser fight, I just was disappointed an extension I use a lot in FF (when I use FF) doesn't work yet in 3.

A Wink's as Good as a Nudge.......

:rolleyes: I suppose you could cheat a bit, and program at least one of the mouse side buttons as "back". This of course assumes a 5 or more button mouse. He said somewhat sheepishly:approve:

Obi-Wan Jerkobi said:
I like the option where you don't have to install the software. (The magic of living in an unfound town with Verizon DSL, nothing is up to date and they really don't care what you do with your IC.)

I install the CD on an old PC so I don't crapware up my new one, then I hook up the router and connect all of my other pc's. Then I reformat the crapware'd pc. There! No evil Verizon software!
I don't actually have to install Verizon-Yahoo software to access the internet. From what I understand they need a password on file and that's about it. I pressed them on this one day and they practically hung up on me. "Buy why", was not a question they were willing to answer at any length.

As much as I hate to admit it their spam filters and virus prevention in the Email are top notch. So, I use Firefox for the heavy lifting, but I'm reluctant to give up my Verizon Email accounts because of their security.

When I had the "verizonized" IE-6, It had a sign in page that looked like the XP account page, just click your name, and then type your password. I was cool with that, but what I have now now is really "Mickey Mouse". If you sign out, yopu must re-enter your Email address as well as your password. A nice man from the Phillipines helped me install it, I suppose I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I don't know if it's actually possible to reinstall Verizon software from the CD. Every time I try, the CD version keeps asking for me to open another account, and all that winds up happening is I spend an hour on the phone in the middle of the night talking to a Verizon rep somewhere over the rainbow.

This session was particularly funny because, my monitor is 1920 X1200 and apparently they have tiny little screens, so everything on my 24" is in miniature at their office. (the install is a remote session).

I guess I am lucky, then, that I didn't get the installation CD you got. :confused: I have not experienced any of those things like the sign in screen. But for some reason on my Dell 4300, it didn't come with IE6. (I know, seriously, WTF?) The thing actually didn't have IE on it so on the install it got IE5 (Crap Verizon Version). My I also mention it did not have a network card or a modem. :p
This session was particularly funny because, my monitor is 1920 X1200 and apparently they have tiny little screens, so everything on my 24" is in miniature at their office. (the install is a remote session).
You'd think they would convert to 16:9 monitors due to most users using 1680x1050 due to the increase in LCDs in the home pc market.

I just downloaded Opera, and am on it now, and i LOVE IT! I never thought I'd like it, but it's addictive.

It's Probably Me But..........

I installed FF3 yesterday, and in addition to killing all my favorite themes, (incompatible), I was unable to get it to put my bookmarks in alphabetical order(.) or possibly (!) or even (?)
Unable to deal with the embarrassment and feelings of inadequacy, I reinstalled FF 2.0009 from an .exe file and then updated it.

I've tested on two XP Pro desktop at first they seem slow, then gone back to the same speed like prior with 2. I run EPG web server and music server to access from firefox from my network console web access. I also have 10 year old laptop running W2KSP4 that I fixed or rebuild, but it can't run FFX3 so back to FFX2 working again. I'll try Vista Business SP1 later on. I'll see how 3 goes so far.

Back