First build, guidance needed please

vale46

Hi and thanks for taking a look at my post. I am going to end up asking a million questions so anyone wanting to help me out will be a life saviour ;p
Ok, i want to build my first and hopefull only PC for the forseeable future, My past PC's have always been shop bought so very limited to any upgrades.
My main use for the PC will be Poser Pro2010 and 3DsMax, both are CPU and ram heavy during rendering and are both 64bit programs, i also do a lot of photoshop and picture edditing so i guess CPU speed and ram are my main requirements. I am sure there will be other things to concider along the way though.
My budget is limited but i dont want to just make do either as this will be a PC i want to use for sometime.
The CPU i am thinking is in my price range is the intel QX6950 3Ghz which i read here can bo OC to a very stable 4Ghz. I will be Using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and would like around 8gig of ram.
either one 1Tb hd or maybe 2 500gig ones ?
I have been adivsed the intel MB DX48BT2 would be perfect so any thoughts from here is where i need some guidance.
I am pretty green when it comes to hardware jargon so please be patient with me lol.
I look forward to hereing any suggestions and i am eager to get building.
Many thanks for reading my long winded post ;)
Kindest regards,
Vale.

Hi Vale,
1)can you put a number on the "limited budget" for us?
2)You are in the UK correct?
3)I assume you will be buying components online?
4)What bits and pieces (if any) will you carry over from your current PC? ...Packard Bell if I recall?
5)What size monitor are you doing your 3DaMax type work on?
6)is there any other significant use for the machine?...ie gaming ect?
7)how 'future upgrade' minded do you want this machine to be?
8) do you have an online vendor you favor doing business with?

These will be very helpful in getting you suggestions for your new build :)

Hey Hi Greg :) howz you ;p
Ok i will try and answer your question.

1) About £800 max
2) Yes , UK
3) Yes
4) None, i want to build from scratch. (unit only, i have monitor and keyboard etc)
5) 19" Viewsonic LCD (its awesome lol)
6) Only surfing.
7) Not too future minded, something of 4ghz speed with quad cores and loads of fast ram wil do me for a good while (2 - 3 years i would imagine)

I am really excited to get things going, i know i have a lot to learn, really glad your still around. You have helped me in the past so i am feeling confident with yours and other peoples help i should get a good system mapped out.

Hey, wasn't sure if you remembered me or not :)
do you have an online site that you prefer to do business with?

No, i just want to get everything NEW so its guaranteed, ebay through to online suppliers. Not fussy ;p

WOW this is awesome sith lord ;p thankyou so much for the detailed info, this is exactly how i would love to see it explained lol lol
So this i7 thing, (new to me) is it clockable or is the 2.8Ghz fast compared to my Q6600 2.4Ghz Core 2 quad ? (current pc)
Why have you only suggested 6gig of ram over the 8gig i wanted ? (not that i have any reason to want 8, just sounded like a nice number)
Is there anything you would have slightly better in the list as i can stretch £800

Thank you so much for this info, its a real bite into starting the order :)

I look forward to any other suggetions on this List.

Thanks again, trully appreciated.

Forgot to mention, Poser prefers Nvidia to ATI and i am unsure of this XFX you suggest so a really good 1 to 2 gig Nvidia graphics would be a good card, obviously suggestion on the model would be good.

And would the i7 950 3.06Ghz fit ? its only £36 more :)

The i7 will more or less crush anything else out there in terms of price vs performance, including the Q6600 and any other older Intel CPU for that matter.

6GB of RAM is best owing to the triple-channel controller in the i7 CPUs; it basically pulls data in parallel from all three sticks. It's only enabled if you have three sticks, and having it enabled is best IMHO, owing to the small performance increase and the relatively low cost of a decent triple-channel kit.

For your video card, I'd recommend this if you're sure the ATI card won't work, since that one runs cooler, consumes less power and has better features in general compared to the NVIDIA card suggested.

I've chosen the parts so you get a fairly silent machine; I know how important a silent machine can be to a content creator.

And you're welcome. :wave:

WOW this is awesome sith lord ;p thankyou so much for the detailed info, this is exactly how i would love to see it explained lol lol
So this i7 thing, (new to me) is it clockable or is the 2.8Ghz fast compared to my Q6600 2.4Ghz Core 2 quad ? (current pc)
Why have you only suggested 6gig of ram over the 8gig i wanted ? (not that i have any reason to want 8, just sounded like a nice number)
Is there anything you would have slightly better in the list as i can stretch £800

Thank you so much for this info, its a real bite into starting the order :)

I look forward to any other suggetions on this List.

Thanks again, trully appreciated.
The RAM in Intel X-58 boards is triple channel, so the 6GB is still 2GBs per channel, comparatively speaking.

Ignore the clock speed, the i7's throughput is likely double that of your Q6600. In fact, the bottom of the line dual core "Core i3-530" will beat a Q6600 in many applications.

This is ace. thanks so much for this support, i trully am greatfull. So the i7 950 3Ghz will be ok will it ? and what about a proper good nvidia card ?

I've already linked you to one. For your intended usage, it's good enough IMHO. Not a gaming card by a long shot, but it should suffice.

Cool, its just that PoserPro 2010 has issues with certain cards and i know Nvidia works a treat so if at all possible could you suggest an Nvidia to complement this system, also is the i7 950 3Ghz ok as its only £36 extra ?

Sorry, also can you looka t this and see if it suites ? i know you suggested a PSU but i need a certain size case and this one fits my dsk perfect and it comes with a PSU but not sure if its ok ?

Sorry to be a noob, but all of you guys time is appreciated :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/220861

Again, I've already recommended the ASUS G210 in post #9. Should be good enough for your needs.

The i7 950 is not worth the extra dosh; performance doesn't differ by much, if at all, from the i7 930. You can Google for benchmarks that will prove this.

As for the case, the Hush and the Centurion II are both the same size (both are mid-tower cases, and have extremely minor differences in dimensions), so I don't know why you'd prefer one over the other, unless there's something I'm not following here.

In any case, the Cooler Master case comes with a low-end PSU that I don't recommend.

Regarding the graphics card, at the moment i am running a Geforce 120GT (1Gig) and its runs Poser well so anything slightly better would be ideal. Will this affesct the PSU though ?

Yer, sorry i looked and realised there aint much difference, its the depth that i am limited too and the centurian is just that little be smaller.

Again sorry about missing the link, the card i have at the moment has 1gig so would prefer to match or better it, and forgive my ignorence but are Asus and Nvidia the same make ?

You don't need a new card then. The GT120 should be ok. The graphics card will not affect performance as much (if at all) as the CPU & RAM will, especially for rendering apps.

Again, it's your prerogative regarding the case. Choose whatever you want, but I recommend staying with that Cooler Master PSU I recommended before.

Ok, i will take your word for it there and go with the PSU you suggested :) The card i mentioned is in my old PC which i am selling so i will still need a more upto date version or shall i just get another one of the GT120 or is there something better. I am unsure if its an old card now.

THe card is more for moving around 3D characters etc within Poser so i sort of need a good card.

Really cant thank you enough for this sith lord ;)

Right, i am starting the order process, a guess once i have all the parts here then the build will be on the back burner untill i get my head around some reading.

Is there any lists of do's and dont's or perhaps a list of how to assemble all the parts in the right order etc. While my components come a want to really have a good understanding of how i do assembly.

Thanks again, for the support thus far, i cant wait till i have it up and running so i can share my experiance here for other noobs lol

Regards, Vale.

Any card should be fine really; the choice is completely upto you.

And good luck with the build. There're some links in the sticky on PC Building in this forum (General Hardware), where you can get instructions on how to build a PC properly.

Thanks again mate, sorry for thanking all the time but i am soooo pleased people like you want to help with things like this. I always wanted to build my own pc but never dared, its forums like this that allow non-pc noobs like me have a chance.

Really appreciative ;)

Is there a good guide i and read here on this forum or any other ideas reagrds the actual assembly ?

;)

Ok just to clarify the compatability of a couple of changes i might do ?

1) Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache
2) Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 iX58 Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
3) OCZ 6GB (3X2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10666 Gold XTC Triple Channel Memory Kit For i7 Motherboards
4) Coolermaster Silent Pro 500W Modular PSU
5) Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache (2 Qty)
6) Gigabyte GT 240 1GB GDDR3 DVI HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card
7) Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
8) All in 1 Internal Card Reader Plus One USB2.0 Port Black - 3.5" Bay
9) Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
10) 120mm Blue LED Fan - 4pin Molex Connection (2 Qty)

All for £741.12 delivered from ebuyer

My budget was £800 so is there anything else i need (cables etc) or anything above that i have added that wont fit / work ?

I am poised to hit the checkout button ;p lol lol

Back