TechSpot

Fix missing favicons on Google Chrome

By Julio Franco
Jul 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Recently Google Chrome stopped showing favicons for all my bookmark bar favorites. Since I can only fit so many bookmarks and thus I abbreviate the descriptions, the icons help me color-coding them so they're more easily identifiable and I can visually follow where I want to go as quickly as possible.

[​IMG]

There is an easy fix to this if you reset the Chrome cache for favicons. Delete the Favicons file in the designated location:

In Windows:
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

**In OS X:
    /Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/

**To access the User Library folder in OS X, hold the Option key and then select Go > Library from the Finder menu bar.

Restart your browser and you should be back in business.

Blkfx1 likes this.
  2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,599   +335

Not directly related, but why does your Google Chrome have three colored circles (Red,Yellow & Green) in top left & mine don't? Its no big deal, just curious. :)

3. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,777   +241

Look s like he may have downloaded a theme for it.

4. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Evangelist Posts: 851   +201

Thanks for sharing this Julio Franco. I literally uninstalled Google Chrome for this reason. It's so annoying having bookmarks without favicons. I didn't care to try and fix the issues I just retired it for FF lol.

learninmypc likes this.
  5. learninmypc

Ok, just curious

6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

That's because he's probably running Mac OS X. It's the buttons for close, maximise, minimise. :)

jobeard likes this.
  7. learninmypc

Ok, sounds good to me.:)

8. vinceschutt

vinceschutt TS Rookie

This is the only advice that works for me. Hopefully this will serve as a bump to help this post's SEO

9. BringBackDOS

BringBackDOS TS Rookie

Good Day! I hope All are enjoying a pleasant one. How does one achieve the desired result in "Vista"?

10. Oziam

Oziam TS Rookie

I deleted Favicons & Favicons-journal files restarted & voila all icons are back. THANKYOU :)

11. bnjohanson

bnjohanson TS Enthusiast Posts: 32   +10

Yeah, if you missed Romper Room when you were young, as I did as well, then the 3-pretty-colored-dots wouldn't necessarily be intuitive. Apple doesn't require their constituency to understand the dark art of "reading and writing"; one episode of Romper Room or 5-days of standard Kindergarten is all that is required to be a Mac OS X Master....

12. learninmypc

Actually I was told in another thread it was because the user had GC on a Mac. Nothing to do with Romper Room :)

13. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,327   +622

Ahum; those three colored circles upper left are uniform for ALL Mac OS X windows - -
    just like the DASH -- nested squares -- and the red X upper right are uniform for Windows.

hmm; the diversity here is a tad shallow, isn't it!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    learninmypc likes this.
  14. PreetiV

PreetiV TS Rookie

I also did as instructed and deleted Favicons & Favicons-journal files. Worked like a dream! Thank you!:cool:

15. JuneAY

JuneAY TS Rookie

I tried as instructed but the problem is I can't delete the Favicons and Favicons-journal files (as attached) . Please help! :'(

Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 10.01.19 pm.jpg