TechSpot

Future Nvidia 'Volta' GPU has stacked DRAM, offers 1TB/s bandwidth

By Matthew
Mar 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Nvidia has updated its public GPU roadmap, revealing new details about upcoming products including a graphics solution that will purportedly offer about four times the memory bandwidth of the new $1,000 GeForce GTX Titan. Codenamed "Volta," the GPU family is...

Read more
  2. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Oh ... wow.. coolness
  3. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 272   +47

Interesting, I'm not anxious about them but is quite interesting to see how it will reflect on performance and if any paradigms are changed with these ideas (AMD's HSA and NVIDIA's "unified virtual memory").
  4. hood6558

hood6558 TS Booster Posts: 292   +44

These are exciting times for enthusiasts, because eventually all the new technology trickles down to affordable consumer parts. It may seem slow while you're living it, but look how far we've come in just 10 years - cheap SSDs, cheap super-fast RAM, affordable liquid cooling, SATA III, USB 3.0, 4 TB drives, gigabyte NICs - all unimagined in 2003. The next 10 years should be mind-blowing.
    hammer2085 likes this.
  5. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 371   +69

Even that won't be enough, me and the rest of the world want 4k resolutions. I never liked the 3D BS, but I drool over high resolution panels.
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  6. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 850   +220

Ahh, the GTX has reclaimed its throne (mini-keplar GK-104 matching Southern Islands was funny) and Nvidia's roadmap looks good. All is well in the world of GPU's with the rightful king in place.
  7. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,953   +900

Yeah, that 1TB/s bandwidth will be great for 4K.
  8. Logan aka Wolverine and Parker aka Spiderman? See the codename within the codename?
  9. Holyscrap

Holyscrap TS Rookie Posts: 39   +12

Isn't going from Wolverine to Spiderman a step back instead of a step forward? :p
    danhodge likes this.
  10. danhodge

danhodge TS Rookie Posts: 80   +13

I thought Maxwell was Intel's CPU line after Haswell? But it says 'Nvidia's next-gen Maxwell architecture'. I'm a little lost here, can someone please fill me in?
  11. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,308   +265

Not if you follow comic book history... Spiderman was significantly stronger than Wolverine ever dreamed to be.

12. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,848   +679

Intel's next CPU architecture is Broadwell. Maxwell is Nvidia's move into parallel computing. Maxwell and Parker look to become the components- ARM 64-bit processing + general purpose GPU, known as Projects Denver and Boulder.
    The first development kits -presumably to kickstart developers to code applications for the technology- named Kayla has just been launched:
    [​IMG]

( Tegra processor + second generation Kepler GPU)
    [Source]
    danhodge likes this.
  13. danhodge

danhodge TS Rookie Posts: 80   +13

Right, that makes more sense. Easy mistake to make I guess.

I follow a bit of comic book history (not enough to make any argument with you), but I still doubt that. Wolverine out strengths him, is as agile as him, and wont really stay down for long.
  14. dragonherder

dragonherder TS Rookie

No no that would be broadwell after haswell

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.