TechSpot

GeForce 310.33 beta boosts speed by up to 15%, adds profiles

By Matthew
Oct 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Not to be outdone by AMD, Nvidia has published a fresh beta driver of its own, offering up to 15% more performance on certain hardware and software setups as well as new and updated profiles. Compared to the GeForce 306.89 WHQL...

Read more

2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Just FYI, Doom 3 BFG Edition doesn't need an Nvidia profile for Nvidia 3D Vision. The profile is built in, just enable stereoscopic quad-buffering mode from the in-game settings and it's perfect. It's also the only OpenGL game I have ever seen work with 3D Vision. Anyway, just wanted to let people know the new Doom 3 BFG edition DOES work with Nvidia 3D Vision and it's excellent.

3. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 881   +231

The one thing I didn't like about my CrossfireX 5770's, 5870 and 6970 was it seemed like every 2 weeks there was a new driver suite to fix issues. It's always felt like I waited years before I need to update my GTX drivers in comparison. Overall the GTX 280, 570 and 670 have been smoother, quieter cards from my experience but I only play at 1080p/1600p.

4. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,394   +483 Staff Member

That's strange because AMD and Nvidia both aim to deliver updated drivers on a monthly basis.

5. PC EliTiST

PC EliTiST TS Rookie Posts: 44

Suddenly, they offer performance for free, like they're Santa Clauses...

Where do you see 15%? 15% performance might offer the next series ( e.g. 780GTX ) of the Nvidia cards... Are we talking for one card ( 680 and perhaps 670 ) and in a specific instance that was bugged or fully unoptimised before? I don't understand... It seems they easily create headlines wrapped with fanfares.

I'm currently trying my Nvidia card ( 560Ti ) and I don't see any performance increase. The other day, when AMD released its buggy 12.11 version, I truly saw on BF3 a serious increase ( on my 7950 ), to be honest. Not as much on other games. Some guys are talking about heavier power draw, though. I'd really like an in-depth, intense scrutiny on 12.11.

Ravey likes this.
  6. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Heavier power draw? More utilisation then? Or faster clock?

7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,909   +716

500M core/ 1375M memory in 2D mode for reference 7970's (or at least 7970's with reference clocks) 12.11beta 4 came out today -same problem. Apparently AMD are aware of the problem.

8. PC EliTiST

@dividebyzero, that's a known bug. AMD knows about it. It happens on 12.11 beta and unfortunately, even on 12.10 WHQL.

I was talking about something else, though. Some sites say this performance increase comes with no additional power-consumption cost, but some other reports say otherwise... That's why I'd like an in-depth analysis by TechReport.

9. PC EliTiST

*TechSpot* I meant, anyway.

10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,909   +716

I thought that the power consumption increase was pretty standard/well known considering that the driver was optimizing for GCN core stalls (which is why HD5000/6000 cards aren't seeing performance increases- VLIW 5, 4). From what I've read it doesn't seem overly excessive (Legit Reviews for example). Anyhow, this discussion should really be taking place in the AMD Catalyst thread.

11. Ravey

Ravey TS Rookie Posts: 20

I havent tried this beta update yet but I have a GTX 560 Ti as well. So results for a performance increase for the 500 series of cards would be useful to me.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.