GeForce GTX 460 on its way, overclocking friendly Fermi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member

Earlier rumors had indicated that Nvidia was preparing a mid-range addition to its GeForce GTX 400 lineup that would arrive in time for Computex, but as we now know that didn't happen. We do know the GTX 460 is on its way though, and unlike the GTX 465 that is more of the same power hungry Fermi that we have come to love and hate at the same time, the GTX 460 will be based on a cut-down revision of that chip "GF104" that should address our concerns about power consumption and heat generation, particularly relevant for a mainstream priced product that is meant to reach the masses.

The latest tidbits of information come from german publication Heise Online who have disclosed some impressive overclocking results. They claim they were able to overclock a GTX 460 from its stock speed of 675MHz to 830MHz without much effort. Then further tweaking the card's voltage had them hitting speeds in the 900MHz range at which point they were matching the performance of the much more expensive GeForce GTX 470.

According to Heise, there will be two versions of the GTX 460, one that comes with 768MB RAM and a 192-bit memory bus that will sell for $230, and a slightly more expensive version that will carry 1GB of RAM and a 256-bit memory interface.

Permalink to story.

I wonder how this will fair versus's the old GTX260? I still currently have the 260 and refuse to upgrade unless this is any good.

I went from a 260 to the 470 and the difference is like night and day so if the 460 is at least within 10-15% of the 470 then you should be satisfied.

Any clues about the arrival date? Thinking about getting something in the range of a HD 5830, maybe this will be it.

Supposedly mid-July. Performance at stock is supposed to be midway between HD 5830 and 5850, with overclocking it supposedly matches a stock clocked GTX 470 or 5850 up to 1920x1080 resolution.
Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back