GOG is giving away a free copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition to all Galaxy users

Polycount

Staff
Freebie: While many gamers -- us included -- continue to wait for CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 (arriving December 10 or 9, depending on your location) release date, the company's DRM-free storefront GOG is looking to give us all something to play in the meantime. Starting today, all GOG Galaxy users can snag a free copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut.

Though this RPG is quite dated by today's standards, it is still well worth playing if you've never tried it before. It's an excellent way to deepen your understanding of Geralt's personality, and it introduces players to several key characters they'll meet later in the series, such as Lambert and Eskel, Vesemir, Triss, Shani, and Thaler.

The combat system can be a bit tedious, as can Geralt's slow walking speed, but there are mods that address both of these issues in different ways. Since I was mostly focused on the story (and had already finished the game years back), I just downloaded speed and god mode mods to make things a bit smoother in my most recent playthrough.

If that's not your cup of tea, though, there's no harm in playing legit and seeing just how far CD Projekt Red has come since the early days of The Witcher.

If you want to take advantage of this offer, you just need a GOG account and the GOG Galaxy launcher. Once you have Galaxy installed on your system, log in, ensure it's up to date, and then check the "Recent" tab in the left-hand navigation pane -- it should be at the top.

There, you'll see a Witcher giveaway banner. By accepting the offer, you're agreeing to receive "news, updates, and GOG offers," so there is a small trade-off, but if those offers become too overbearing, you can always turn them off later.

This promotion doesn't have an end date, so you have plenty of time to snag your copy before Cyberpunk's release, and the launch of this year's Game Awards event.

Update: A previous version of this article mistakenly claimed that this promotion only lasted 48 hours. A GOG representative has confirmed that it's permanent, so we've updated this piece to reflect that information.

Permalink to story.

I enjoyed the storyline from the first Witcher game. I found the combat overly simplistic and boring, it was the story that kept me engaged.

I couldn't get past the controls of the second game to give it a fair shot. After trying to get used to the changes in the controls I found to really dislike them and stopped playing after a couple hours. Which means I never played the third.

Anyone that's interested in the game that hasn't played it, certainly give it a try. You just might really like it and everything it offers. If you don't like it, at least you didn't spend any money on it.

There, you'll see a Witcher giveaway banner. By accepting the offer, you're agreeing to receive "news, updates, and GOG offers," so there is a small trade-off, but if those offers become too overbearing, you can always turn them off later.
I was subscribed to these offers for a while. Seems to me that they are pretty aggressive. Sometimes, I would get two or more e-mails a day from them. :rolleyes:

I already own it on Steam and I had finished it twice back in 2008 when nobody had a clue about Geralt and his adventures. It was instant love about the world and characters and I`m glad the sequels have brought it the fame it deserves.

Last edited:
I gave it a shot a year ago and the combat was horrible so I didn't continue. Guess The Witcher 3 spoiled me.

Honestly I'd rather buy it than add a launcher. GoG better keep offering stand-alone installers for their games - I'll be put out if that practice stops.

Done, nice addition. I also linked all my other game launchers to GOG. Forgot you could do that.

I played it back in the day after it came out ~2007 and tried going back to it. Like a lot of things, the graphics (obviously) and the game mechanics have not aged well. I couldn't play it.

I played it back in the day after it came out ~2007 and tried going back to it. Like a lot of things, the graphics (obviously) and the game mechanics have not aged well. I couldn't play it.
Meh, I've been gaming since before the original Starflight. If you want to see truly horrible game mechanics (compared to today), check out games from the 90s. :laughing:

Back