Google optimizes Chrome for Retina display, adds new API support

By Shawn Knight
Aug 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google's latest stable release of Chrome now supports Apple's new high resolution screen on the MacBook Pro with Retina display. In addition to supporting the 2,880 x 1,800 resolution (220 pixels per inch) panel, Google has added a few other……

Read more
  2. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +123 Staff Member

Excuse my ignorance but what would be the difference of this software based solution mapping four pixels into one vs simply setting a screen resolution of 1440x900?
    My question is because on most HDTV's a 1080p resolution results in text being quite unreadable, but even dropping to 720p does not always help, and that is all the while increasing the DPI of the OS to the maximum setting

In some ways I guess this will always be an advantage that CRT monitors will hold: The ability to render any resolution sharply?
    Will this software solution from Apple somewhat fix that gap and if so is it likely we will see it in competing manufacturers products?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.