Google wants to digitize your wallet, tickets, passes and more

Rick

Staff

In the wake of Passport, Apple's upcoming answer to digital wallets, Google has announced it is working toward making its current Google Wallet service more robust. In a Q&A session hosted by YouTube, Google Wallet developer Robin Dua said the company hopes to let you "leave your leather wallet at home".

Despite its namesake, Google Wallet hasn't truly been a suitable replacement for traditional wallets just yet. Although the service handles electronic payments and loyalty cards admirably, it doesn't really include ways of storing and using gift cards, movie tickets, transit passes, coupons and certain other items which users find themselves frequently carrying.

Google isn't the only company who wants in on storing the contents of your wallet digitally, however. Just to name a few, PayPal, Apple, Lemon and MCX -- a consortium of large retailers like Wal-Mart and Target -- are all vying to replace your folded slab of well-worn cowhide with their own digital representations.

Despite the increasing amount of competition, Google hopes it can set itself apart by offering novel features. For example, the company has been working with a NJ-based transit agency in a pilot program which stores and presents bus passes through Google Wallet. The company intends to streamline the process of purchasing, maintaining and presenting bus passes, giving riders access to all of their own relevant information in just a few touches.

Dua also mentioned leveraging location awareness in order to automatically retrieve relevant coupons and loyalty cards as a means to simplify transactions.

No launch dates were given during the Q&A session.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, sure they can do that for me...once our governments actually start treating hackers like proper criminals and stomping down on fraud and the like with them.
Of course we know that will never happen, our governments are too busy chasing their tails trying to stop piracy rather than fighting something that is a little more important for technology to progress.

No thanks. I still like to do things with cash. Hard to spend more than you have when you only have X dollars in your wallet. CC, debit cards, and checks are too easy to over spend on.

This is definitely not for everybody, that is for sure. Cash is still king for me. One more way for companies to gather more info on consumers, as if they don't get enough on a daily basis. NO THANKS!

Not only that, but why would ANYONE want this to happen? All these smartphones do is give the companies and the governments access to your data, accounts, and locations at any time. Now I want to give them my banking information and where I spend my money? Come on - get real. This 24/7 connectivity is more creepy than beneficial. Do I really need to be updated when my facebook friends update their status and their location? Ooooo Joe Smith just checked into a freakin' Swiss Chalet restaurant. I DON'T CARE.

Ughhh...survival of the fittest folks, not the most well-connected.

Well I would not use the complete service on the $$ side BUT I love the buss pass, loyalty cards and coupons cuz they are just a paint to always carry and you never have it when you need it. In other hand my cash ,debit/credit cards are alway on my person.

But hum since Google came up with this first and Apple introducing its vesion you think Google will sue them ! :X

Agree with Neojt. Store coupons, transit passes, etc. - that would be a genuine convenience. Bank info needs to stay more private than any networked corporation should be trusted to hold.

Back