TechSpot

Google's new rooftop solar initiative looks to bring low cost power to residential homes

By Justin Kahn
Apr 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has been in the news recently regarding its environmental initiatives, but Google also ranked quite well on Greenpeace's most recent clean energy index and now the company is set to push its environmental programs even further. Like Apple, Google...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I wonder if this will work out. Solar companies are struggling right now because of Chinese competition.

3. Holotus

Holotus TS Enthusiast Posts: 68   +9

Solar really is the way to go. Just imagine if every house had their own panels when the grid gets shut down. No one would notice the difference.

4. razvir

razvir TS Rookie

With buying investing in robotics & other science fields than IT only shows there future plan is to be a company like "BUY n LARGE" in Wall-E movie.....

5. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 TS Booster Posts: 147   +25

Depends on the amount of daylight converted into energy vs the usage of energy. Some households use a lot of energy and when you have days with less light intensity less power flows into the house. Would be a pain in the *ss if the television stops working during ur favorite game.

6. Holotus

Holotus TS Enthusiast Posts: 68   +9

Those are good points which will hopefully be resolved in later versions of panels. They're always finding new solutions to old problems all the time.

7. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

cdrking, my favorite cheap tech gadgets and accessories is now selling solar panels on most store branches.
    since I'm not good at mathematics, I wonder if a Philippine consumer would have a good value compared to purchased electricity from the electric company/national power grid.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  8. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,185   +529

and you have to remember that the sun is not always shining. Thus it is always good to have more than one source of electricity.

9. Forg0t2

Even if the light of the sun is hidden behind thick clouds the Solar panels will collect energy. This energy will only be really poor compared to when the sun is fully shining onto the solar panels. I think if you would use the chimney by making it cylindrical and placing small vertical rotorblades (Like an concept on lanterns near the highway) you would be able to extract wind and solar. Both probably still not enough to power a daily household but at least you'll close up the gap....

misor likes this.
  10. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

I've seen one solar panel installation in person and it used storage batteries to help mitigate those periods when there is little to no sunlight available. I've only seen this one installation so I don't know how typical it is. Despite the batteries there will be times when this house will draw from the grid. I don't remember the type of batteries used but they were not cutting edge since the installation was done years ago when the technology was less advanced. At least the solar panels themselves have been updated.

misor likes this.
  11. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

I think you are forgetting night.

12. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 957   +273

Imagine being a airline pilot and every house has solar panels on it reflecting light back into your eyes as you are trying to land...

Maybe its not that bad but something to think about don't you think?

13. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 818   +231

There are generally few houses that near airport runways unless they are small airports and even then it is rare.

14. Forg0t2

No, because at night the energy consumption is the lowest. During daytime you should collect all the energy for the night. so you allways need a place to store the energy and have an higher average of collected energy vs used energy...