GPU temp is 70C, does this restart my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b44g6

I had a problem earlier in my cpu that it overheated to 96C, I thaught it was the cause of my computer restarting whenever I start something, but I solved that by installing a new fan, now the computer still restarts after a while.....I dont know what is causing this, I reinstalled windows and it didnt work, now I found out that the GPU temp reaches >70C, is this it?

Intel Pentium 4 3.0
Intel original motherboard 915 GUV
ATI 4300/4500 series 512 MB Graphics Card
2GB Ram DDR2

Thanks/...

Is the GPU temp greater than 70C on idle? Then that would be a bit too high.

What are the temps of the other components? Use HWMonitor and report back.

I've seen and had a couple of computers that would restart - eventually realised it was the GFX cards doing it.

My friend had one that got so hot that ati tool said it was up to 110c! It melted the thermal pads thats connected to the card and the cooler.......bearing in mind these things are built to transfer heat.

Have a look at yours I bet the fan has sucked a lot of dust right through into the heat sink or something stopping it from dissipating the heat. This has happened to a fair few that I've seen.

Are you getting beeping from your motherboard when this happens? is 70c idle? Do you play graphic intensive games?

you still need to install the chip set drivers

That's not always necessary. I did run my system for a while without installing the chipset drivers as Windows 7 used generic ones. There were no issues. However, it's best practice to install all the latest drivers available and use them to get maximum functionality from your system.

@b44g6 - You still didn't mention if 70C was idle temperature or not.

That's not always necessary. I did run my system for a while without installing the chipset drivers as Windows 7 used generic ones. There were no issues. However, it's best practice to install all the latest drivers available and use them to get maximum functionality from your system.

@b44g6 - You still didn't mention if 70C was idle temperature or not.

Idle temp is around 50-55 C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back