Gran Turismo 7 gets pushed back to 2022 due to pandemic-related production challenges

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Polyphony Digital's upcoming racer Gran Turismo 7 won't meet its original 2021 target launch date. It's a bit of a bummer but given the pandemic and Poly's track record, we're not entirely surprised by the admission. Here's to hoping the extra development time pushes the game from good to great.

Gran Turismo 7 was announced on June 11, 2020, during the PlayStation 5 unveiling. Despite its name, it'll be the eighth game in the mainline franchise, which dates back to the groundbreaking Gran Turismo for the original PlayStation in 1997. The primary releases reached peak sales in 2001 with the launch of Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec on the PS2.

In a recent GQ interview with Jim Ryan, president and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, a Sony rep confirmed that production challenges related to the pandemic have pushed the game back from 2021 to 2022.

"With the ongoing pandemic, it's a dynamic and changing situation and some critical aspects of game production have been slowed over the past several months," the rep said, promising to share more specifics on the game's release date when they become available.

Gran Turismo 7 certainly looked the part in its announcement trailer last spring, but as with any simulation racer, it'll ultimately come down to the feel of the game. Cutting-edge graphics don't mean squat if the vehicles don't handle and behave as they would in the real world. Fortunately, Polyphony Digital has a solid track record when it comes to racing sims.

Permalink to story.

One more reason to wait before buying a PS5, not that you can easily get one anyway.
Nah, I got ps5 and it is really awesome piece of fun. It is so much more responsive, faster and quiet im playing it so much more than ps4.
And after cyberpunk I'd rather have Devs to take extra time...

Nah, I got ps5 and it is really awesome piece of fun. It is so much more responsive, faster and quiet im playing it so much more than ps4.
So the PS4 couldnt run PS4 games properly? That's what I'm getting from this.

What production challenges?

Either they are really having an issue or they're just using the "pandemic" as a crux for the fact that they're behind and don't want people to actually question why they are behind if they toss out the "pandemic" word.

Did all their computers to code on die and need new systems built with new GPUs and they can't find any?
Did they have a lot of people out sick and caused a delay?
Did they just drop the ball and screw the pooch at the same time, now they cannot make their initial deadline?
Did they forget to save their work and back it up and now they have to start from scratch?

So the PS4 couldnt run PS4 games properly? That's what I'm getting from this.
You're projecting and twisting his words, he said PS5 runs the games better, which is true, not that PS4 runs them bad.

Properly for PS4 is not the same as properly for PS5. Both run properly according to their different specs.

I had not gamed on a console for well over a decade until the Xbox One and only because of Gamepass.
But I do remember the early GT games very fondly but heard they were nowhere near as good as the franchise aged. I wonder if it will hit PC.

I had not gamed on a console for well over a decade until the Xbox One and only because of Gamepass.
But I do remember the early GT games very fondly but heard they were nowhere near as good as the franchise aged. I wonder if it will hit PC.
I've got all of them, After GT4 it went down hill. However, GT7 I'm definitely getting excited for. They're bringing it back to the PS2 days! Even the menu's and sounds are similar.

Haven't got a PS5 as getting hold of one is stupidly difficult but I'll definitely be picking this up assuming the tech industry sorts it's sh*t out.

Yeah, If you wait a bit and then buy a PS5 you will have more games for it, bugs ironed out and as we keep hearing about these controller issues, that will probably get resolved as well.

Yeah, If you wait a bit and then buy a PS5 you will have more games for it, bugs ironed out and as we keep hearing about these controller issues, that will probably get resolved as well.

Same way the drift issues with Nintendo have been fixed after all these years....

Oh, wait. They haven't. But you never know, maybe Sony will fix things......?

I remember checking out their game a while back, on ps2. It looked very smooth and enjoyable to play. Gl to their team.

Same way the drift issues with Nintendo have been fixed after all these years
I will say that Nintendo is fixing them for free though. Even out of warranty. My nephew had one of his with the problem and they took care of it. It took almost 2 months but they did ship it back fixed. Well, fixed or replaced.

Same way the drift issues with Nintendo have been fixed after all these years....

Oh, wait. They haven't. But you never know, maybe Sony will fix things......?

Sony changed his components on purpose to dercrease the cost of manufacturing those controller, so I highly doubt they will fix it soon.

To be honest I play a lot more PS4 games on my PS5 than PS5 games. God Of War locked at 60fps at 4K looks wonderful but the biggest benefit is the total silence. God Of War on my PS4 makes it sound like it is about to take off.

Sony changed his components on purpose to dercrease the cost of manufacturing those controller, so I highly doubt they will fix it soon.

Sony use the exact same joystick modules as Microsoft and Nintendo (manufactured by Alps Alpine).

Back