Guide to AMD Ryzen 7000 Motherboard Chipsets

So let me get this straight, an A620 board is the same chipset and it just has stuff disabled and garbage VRMs? If the stuff is already on the hardware, and considering how cheap VRMs are, why would this cost less to manufacture exactly? These boards seem punitive and petty.

Eventually the PC bubble will burst and all prices will come down. They're obviously banking huge margins. It's funny how people claimed Nvidia has a tiny margin on a $750 4070 so prices can't be lower, then it releases at $600 no one buys and it magically can get even lower. The same is true for all other components.

Modern industrial economics is based on volume of scale, the actual products cost nearly nothing to produce. The assembly lines and research are the main cost, early adopters pay an premium for the products to cover these costs, and then as the process matures costs become negligible and it is pure profit. CPUs and motherboards are extremely mature processes, none of this stuff is way more expensive to produce now than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

I'm sorry but nobody should buy a gimped board like this. Just don't buy anything and watch prices drop.

So let me get this straight, an A620 board is the same chipset and it just has stuff disabled and garbage VRMs? If the stuff is already on the hardware, and considering how cheap VRMs are, why would this cost less to manufacture exactly? These boards seem punitive and petty.

Eventually the PC bubble will burst and all prices will come down. They're obviously banking huge margins. It's funny how people claimed Nvidia has a tiny margin on a $750 4070 so prices can't be lower, then it releases at $600 no one buys and it magically can get even lower. The same is true for all other components.

Modern industrial economics is based on volume of scale, the actual products cost nearly nothing to produce. The assembly lines and research are the main cost, early adopters pay an premium for the products to cover these costs, and then as the process matures costs become negligible and it is pure profit. CPUs and motherboards are extremely mature processes, none of this stuff is way more expensive to produce now than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

I'm sorry but nobody should buy a gimped board like this. Just don't buy anything and watch prices drop.
Obviously when you disable something on the chipset, you also get a simpler motherboard with less components and traces. But since you can get a B650 from $120, the A620 doesn't make much sense atm.

So let me get this straight, an A620 board is the same chipset and it just has stuff disabled and garbage VRMs? If the stuff is already on the hardware, and considering how cheap VRMs are, why would this cost less to manufacture exactly?

There must be some binning involved, so "defective" chips get sold for less and used on cheaper motherboards. It's standard practice:

This article is incomplete and doesn't reference the actual differences and importance between the chipsets. The author doesn't seem to understand the relationship between extreme and none-extreme chips and is more centered around the numerical tiering 670/650/620.

The X670E and X650E (extreme) both come with 24 lanes of PCIe 5.0:
x8 dGPU PCIe 5.0
x8 dGPU PCIe 5.0
x4 NVMe PCIe 5.0
x4 NVMe PCIe 5.0

This article is incomplete and doesn't reference the actual differences and importance between the chipsets. The author doesn't seem to understand the relationship between extreme and none-extreme chips and is more centered around the numerical tiering 670/650/620.

The X670E and X650E (extreme) both come with 24 lanes of PCIe 5.0:
x8 dGPU PCIe 5.0
x8 dGPU PCIe 5.0
x4 NVMe PCIe 5.0
x4 NVMe PCIe 5.0

1) The article does mention the difference between E and non-E motherboards.

2) X670 and X670E aren't two different chipsets, but two types of boards using the same chipset. Enabling 24 PCIe 5.0 lanes (and another 4 to connect with the chipset, including possibly future ones that will support PCIe 5.0) is a CPU feature enabled by the motherboard maker.

Obviously when you disable something on the chipset, you also get a simpler motherboard with less components and traces. But since you can get a B650 from $120, the A620 doesn't make much sense atm.

The A620, coming soon to a Dell near you! If OEMs can save a little cash and scale that out x1000s of systems, then the end users won't know what chipset they're getting or the heavy limitations they'll get. Then they'll just complain about "their crappy AMD system" and want to go back to an Intel one.

The A620, coming soon to a Dell near you! If OEMs can save a little cash and scale that out x1000s of systems, then the end users won't know what chipset they're getting or the heavy limitations they'll get. Then they'll just complain about "their crappy AMD system" and want to go back to an Intel one.
:(

You remind me of me many many years ago. When I realized that 386 SX and DX are exactly the same chip, but one had 387 FPU enabled, while the other one had the same number of transistors, but the FPU was disabled.

It was a huge shock and disappointment to me. Before that I thought that cheaper chips were designed without certain features, had less transistors, and that's why they were so cheap. This was plain cheating.

Then later I realized the situation wasn't as dark as I thought. Any hi-tech manufacturing process often results in a lot of faulty items. So, what they do is they sell the faulty parts at a lower price, with the nonfunctional blocks (and their pairs) switched off. Instead of throwing them out of the window, they sell them at a lower price. Sounds fair to me.

Okay, not always. Sometimes they really burn the wires and disable parts on purpose, but considering the complexity of nowadays production, there's a higher chance the chips were partially broken, and they just wanted to sell the broken ones too.

I find it odd to cripple your own product to sell it cheaper. But that's how you make extra money from more avenues, I guess.

Back