Hard drive light on constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Recently upgraded my memory from 1GB ddr2 (533MHz 2x512mb) TO 4GB 6400 Crucial Ballistic and initally had problems could only use 3GB wouldnt boot with the 4GB read some forums
and had to reduce 800mhz to 667mhz. Now it recognised the 4GB but still was crashing so having spoken to crucial they advised upping the memory voltage. so it was at 1.8v (AUTO) increased to 2.085v. Seemed to working fine trouble is ever since my messing in BIOS the hard drive light is on constanly and making in use noises. Should i be concerned?

Have turned off search indexing, disabled bit torrent, done a memory test was good
done scandisk no problems found. I think the voltage may have changed something?? everything else is on auto.vcore, nb core, vcore offset.
Anyone know whats wrong?
Also i downloaded the lastest motherboard drivers from nvidia 15.08 and when its installed my Hitachi hard drive comes up in safely remove hardware! So i changed
it back to the previous version 15.00

I have Asus P5N-E Sli nforce 650i mobo, Core 2 Duo E6400
Vista home premium 32 Bit

Would appreciate any help thanks!

Look at the board on the ASUS website. It tells you which memory is acceptable, and which is not. Those ASUS people are verrry particular.

4G ramsticks = 20G Virtual memory/swap file/pagefile.

20G memory is a lot of memory to be continually mapped, especially for a 32-bit machine.

Try reducing your swap file assignment to physical ram x 3, or x 2, even better...

Start/computer/properties/advanced tab/performance settings/advanced tab/virtual memory/change

I have checked the compatibility on ASUS website for my P5N-E SLI (NFORCE 650i SLI) It has under DDR2 800:- 1024MB Crucial Heat-Sink Package BL12864AA804.16FD i have got BL12864AA804.8FE5

Also i checked the nvidia motherboard website compatibiliy list and and it shows:-
Crucial BL12864AA804.16FD3 1GB. i have got BL12864AA804.8FE5 Could that be the problem?

I used the crucial scanner for guaranteed compatability and choose from the given list so ive sent crucial
an email to check what ive recieved is ok.

Also i altered my virtual memory but the problem remains (constant hard drive use)
I removed 2GB and it solves the problem! But thats not what i want :)

My BIOS version is 0401 and Asus has P5N-E SLI BIOS Release version 0901
Enhance compatibility with certain memory modules.
Do you think i should try that? Im a novice and dont really know what im doing.
My motherboard has:-

EZ Flash 2
* Simply update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering the OS
EZ Flash 2 is a user-friendly BIOS update utility.
Simply launch this tool and update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering the OS.
You can update your BIOS only in a few clicks without preparing an additional floppy diskette
or using an OS-based flash utility.

Do i just need to place the downloaded BIOS update on a usb flash disc and plug it in when prompted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back