TechSpot

Hard drive musical chairs: how do I keep XP running?

By sporks5000
Feb 14, 2005
  1. I currently have a system that can dual boot into windows 98 (located on my first hard drive) and XP-SP2 (located on the first partition of my second hard drive) but since I don't use windows 98 anymore, I want to A) wipe my first hard drive so that I have more space, and B) swap the master/slave positions of my two hard drives.

I'm assuming that after I switched the hard drives, I'd have to boot from the windows XP CD and repair the MBR by using fixboot and fixmbr in the repair console in order to get the system to boot correctly from that point on, but would there be anything else involved in the process?

I'm also assuming that there's some method of making sure that the drive letter assigned to the partition that windows XP is on ("D:") doesn't change due to this switch, although I have no clue how this would be accomplished. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

3. sporks5000

sporks5000 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Excelent. I'll give it a shot later this week and post how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.