HELP! Can't access Window XP even in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop was working fine then the other day I went to use it and it froze so I rebooted and got this message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

When I was finally able to get to the point where I could choose safemode this is what came up:

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntoskrnl.exe
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hal.dll
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KDCOM.DLL
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\BOOTVID.dll
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config\system
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config\system.alt

Then after a pause it would tell me to use the original disk to repair but that's not working!

I don't know what else to try but my financial files are there and I REALLY need those - don't care about the rest of it. Is there something I will be able to do to regain access? or some other way that the info will be able to be retrieved??

The laptops hard drive is probably bad. You will need to have a new drive installed and the OS (operating system) reloaded. Can you do this, or will you need to take the laptop to a repair shop? After the laptop is up and running again, there may be a way to retrive you data on the old drive, by placing the drive in an external USB laptop hard drive enclosure. Backing up those important financial files might be a good idea from now on. Can you recover them from your financial institution?

I was afraid of that! No, it was my personal financial info and not the bank's info. I had transferred everything else already to a new laptop but was having issues so decided to hold off on the rest until those issues had been resolved!!! thanks for the reply!

use a friend's computer to download a pre-built image of UBCD4WIN then burn it to CD and boot up off of it. Use diagnostics on CD to check HD and see if you can use its file explorer to retieve your files (it also may contain some recovery tools depending on who built the image)

(Build your own custom UBCD4WIN sometime too. Is worth the effort!)

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is part of your registry.

Registry recovery is discussed here.

here's one kb article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312368/en-us

another http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312369/en-us

the procedure referencing the \repair folder is only STEP-1 of a THREE step process documented here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

following all three steps is fruitful (ie it works well) as I can attest from my need to recover a corrupt registry​

These files
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hal.dll
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KDCOM.DLL
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\BOOTVID.dll
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config\system
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config\system.alt​
are shown due to a modified boot.ini at C:\ ... not good

Recover your registry first and then we can go from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back