Help! my computer is chirping....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running windows xp on an nec versa sx laptop....which is made for windows 98/NT. i noticed that it would get quite hot at times, and i would shut it off to let it cool.

however...recently i have not even been able to turn the laptop on. when i do, it makes a loud chirping noise and will not boot into windows. i tried re-installing windows, then it will boot into windows, but it will run very slow and only for about an hour, then the computer beeps and a blue screen pops up saying that there has been a fatal system error and it is dumping memory and shutting down to prevent damage. when i try to restart, it chirps and will not boot into windows again.

any help here? :confused:

Hi
First off I would run a hard drive manufacturer's utility (get it from the drive maker) on the drive to get an idea of its condition. Then maybe a memory error test app such as memtest86. Then you can see what is wrong, or what isn't, hardware wise. Do that and get back on the results.

Also, if you can, check that the ventilation openings are not clogged up, and that any fans inside that laptop are working properly (and are not dusty).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back