High occurrence of BSoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekiel7

Hi everyone,

I've been getting nasty blue screens lately while playing any PC game (not always while in game, but mostly). However, each time the error is different. I wanted to look into it myself, but every time I tried opening my .dmp files using dumpchk the command prompt would fly through a bunch of text in a mere second before automatically closing. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong there.

Anywho, my first instinct was bad RAM. However I've also made some recent major changes as well in which may be contributing to possible new BSoD errors. The upgrade to a SSD and Win7 x86. I'm running four sticks of 1GB DDR2 which I've been using for about three or four years now. 750W PSU, with a GeForce 280GTX.

Here are a few of my most recent .dmp files. Please let me know how I can resolve this. It's driving me quite literally insane.

Thank you!

I read your minidumps and all cite Windows OS drivers as the probable cause but the problem is OS drivers are usually too general to be of much help.

Only one dump cited something else and it stated hardware without further details.

With so many differing BSOD codes and with so many different drivers listed as the cause this can be a strong idicator of corrupted memory. Three of your error codes are 0xD1 and though they are usually caused by drivers they also can be caused by faulty or mismatched memory.

Have you run Memtest of the RAM for diagnostic sake? If not make sure you run it for a minimum of 7 Passes.

Have you run Memtest of the RAM for diagnostic sake? If not make sure you run it for a minimum of 7 Passes.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

How could I fix the Windows OS driver issue? A complete reinstall? Or is it truly too general to make one way or the other? I'm running a fresh install (first install on a new SSD) of Win7 so I found that to be a little shocking.

I've ran the Windows memory diagnostics tool twice on normal settings and once on extended for a total of six passes. It did not pick up on anything though. Strange that it didn't pick up anything, I do notice that I typically get a driver_irql_not_less_or_equal 0xD1 error (0xD1) like you stated. Maybe I'll run eight normal passes in a few minutes. What would resolve this? Buying completely new memory?

Edit 1: I have many more .dmp files if needed.
Edit 2: I also remember seeing multiple PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA errors as well which look like is due to my memory.
Edit 3: Would updating my BIOS help at all?

Here is the thing about corrupted memory: it will cause all kinds of error codes and minidumps will list many drivers that have nothing to do with corrupted memory per se, but the bottom line is corrupted memory. I've seen happen quite often.

I'm not saying this is your issue but I have seen the Windows memory diagnostic miss bad RAM. To be fair, I've seen memtest miss bad RAM while Windows tool picked up errors. Between the two I'd go with Memtest.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

* Don't worry about your BIOS or Windows drivers showing up. The latter is quite common. Some people do need from time to time to do a repair but at this point we are looking at hardware.

Okay, I'll test each individual stick of RAM for ten passes each using Memtest and get back to you. Thanks so much for the assistance.

Alright here are my results:

I've tested the first three of four sticks of RAM. I allowed ten passes each
(3h 8m ea.) By the time I was done testing the first three sticks (of which showed no errors) it was six in the morning. I decided instead of throwing the very last stick in to test for several hours, I might as well through all four in. Unfortunately the power went out in the house while I was asleep. I had to restart the entire process. Again, I left all four sticks in. I went back to bed for a bit longer and let it run. I woke up, checked the screen and saw 120 errors on the fifth pass with a wall time of some three odd hours. After, I thought "It must be the last stick I haven't tested yet." Curious, I tested the last stick for ten passes. No error.

I marked each stick with a little sticky note tab indicating: what order I tested it in, for how long, and for how many passes. Every stick passed, individually. However - when all four where being tested I had a screen full of red bars indicating errors.

At this time I think I'm going to try a trial and error process of my own. I will be using three sticks of RAM at a time while using my computer. If for some reason I receive a BSoD, I will swap out one of the sticks with the extra. If I get another BSoD, I'll repeat the process. Alike the last test, I will be marking each stick to keep track of which one's I've used and for how long.

I also have to come to the realization that I may be experiencing a defective motherboard RAM slot, or possibly even multiple RAM sticks being affected by this issue. Maybe they're even conflicting with each other.

In summary: when tested individually, the sticks show no signs of malfunction. When tested together I receive massive error reports. One thing's for sure, my BSoD issue is looking to be highly influenced by some form of RAM malfunction.

Wish me luck.

Ezekiel7 (love the handle by the way), excellent diagnostic work on your part.

Please give us the make of your motherboard and the make of your RAM.

Also, can you access your BIOS and check what the motherboard has the voltage of your memory set to and compare it to your RAM manufacture's voltage parameters for their product?

Ezekiel7 (love the handle by the way), excellent diagnostic work on your part.

Please give us the make of your motherboard and the make of your RAM.

Also, can you access your BIOS and check what the motherboard has the voltage of your memory set to and compare it to your RAM manufacture's voltage parameters for their product?

I have a ASUS M3A78-T with Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 DDR2. I was going to link them to you, but I require more than five posts to do so.

I'm not sure which is the RAM voltage.

VCORE Voltage: 1.346V
3.3V Voltage: 3.360V
5V Voltage: 4.945V
12V Voltage: 12.096V

With three sticks in.

It's been working fine so far. However it may be a little early to call it a complete success. Thanks for the help thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back